When was the last time the NFL MVP race was this wide open?

CP3MVP

Just now, lancerman said:

But you can’t retroactively give someone extrapolated stats. Like what’s the argument then, the most valuable player is someone whose team asked him to do less than the other guys? 

passer rating is his top argument for MVP

Yes, I know. I think extrapolating is a fool's errand. I'm not advocating for that at all. Was just pointing out that if you do it for one guy, need to normalize it for everyone else to do a (still bad) apples-to-apples comparison.

I would never do that myself, however.

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes, I know. I think extrapolating is a fool's errand. I'm not advocating for that at all. Was just pointing out that if you do it for one guy, need to normalize it for everyone else to do a (still bad) apples-to-apples comparison.

I would never do that myself, however.

Extrapolating over 1 game is fine.

ie, someone sits the final week to rest starters, or a missed game somewhere for an unexpected Covid situation.. And that's the difference between 4,800/38 in 16 games vs 4,600/36 in 15 games - I think that's fine to say the 2nd guy had equal or better "bulk stats" if the efficiency metrics are better

But I don't agree with doing the same thing for a guy who missed 4 games