Patriots sign WR Antonio Brown hours after his release by Raiders

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, showtime said:

How much money did Antonio Brown lose?  I read that the contract he signed with the Patriots could be up to $15 million, but that's not guaranteed.  The guy paid his price for being an idiot.  Hopefully he can turn things around and prospect in New England.  Best of luck with the Patriots, Mr. Brown.

At least $20 million.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You think its "power" to verbally abuse coaches and teammates and be so disruptive that you get released from two contracts you willingly signed? 

You thing thats a GOOD thing?

Sad, if so.

It is power but I never said his means by which he displayed this power was something I condone. But it’s power nonetheless. Be so disruptive to the point where you go to a team that you wanted to go to for 15 million? That’s power. 

Im not condoning how he did this because he did it in a real messy fashion. He had no leverage to get his move and he somehow got his move. That’s power.

I get why people are mad, but I don't see why everyone has to be.

This is easily the most entertaining off field drama the NFL has had in who knows how long.  I'm a Panthers fan, so really the Patriots aren't relevant to me as far as how we do this season.  So it boils down to now having the opportunity to watch arguably the GOAT quarterback throw passes to one of the best wide receivers of all-time.  

Strictly from an on the field standpoint, that excites the hell out of me.  Brady and Brown, on paper, seem like a perfect match considering what Brady is great at and what Brown is great at.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

I mean, how did Antonio Brown get rewarded for bad behavior?  He lost a ton of money this upcoming season and he's on a team with a complex system and has to learn the playbook.  His production is probably not going to be as high as it would have been in Oakland.  I'm confused.

rewarded? Suppose he wins a SB? is that rewarded or is more catches on a losing team rewarded? Lost the money, I get, but maybe he just wanted to win? I can't claim to know whats going on with him, but thats all that remotely makes sense right now anyways. The way he went about it was unethical to say the least, but if the steelers would have traded him to the pats in the first place, would all this drama have happened to the pats that happened to the raiders?  

And what if he behaves, wins SB and maybe MVP etc, then how does the rest of the league take this fiasco into the next CBA?

4 minutes ago, tab said:

I guess I can see how people think AB planned this but he was still talking trash about Juju and Ben when that was all no longer relevant so I don't think I can say he's that calculated. I can't see this ending well

He does that for the attention it gets. 

The timing, team and money is indeed suspicious. Antonio more or less makes the same money this year (assuming the incentives aren't crazy). I'm sure the NFL head office will look into this. For a player to tank his contract (and cost a team two picks) and then go to a team of his choosing (who will likely get a comp pick) won't sit well with the 75% of owners who don't have destination franchises. Whether or not (or to what degree) this was collusion I don't know but it does send a very dangerous precedent.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why did AB sign that $50M extension with the Raiders when he got traded? Based on that video of AB celebrating the release, you'd think he never wanted to be Oakland. 

I know trying to rationalize AB's behavior at this point is just a pointless endeavor, but in the event we want to approach this from "conspiracy" angle, him signing an extension makes no sense. Oakland probably never trades for him if he doesn't want an extension. As an all-pro on the wrong side of 30, he absolutely could just threaten not to play if he's not where he wants to be and get what he wants. Only downside is how bad a look it is and will hurt your value... but obviously that's not something he was worried about, as he would see.