2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

44 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

I believe that cutting Preston is our last option. And many moves will depend on the final cap number. By the way, borrowing from other years' cap (as Gute said) can perfectly be converting P5 salaries/roster bonuses to signing bonuses, it doesn't mean that we are buyers in FA.

Gute has said he will be .. I believe it.

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The Rodgers restructure is a bit tougher because of the Love dilemma. A large restructure to Rodgers doesn't just mean clearing cap/pushing cap for Rodgers' team in 2021, but it also basically forces the Packers to commit to Rodgers for an extra year or two past this season, thus basically wasting Love's entire rookie deal. 

I'm expecting a Rodgers restructure, but I think it's going to be an in-between type deal where the Packers save more like around $7-8m (from his roster bonus) versus $12-14m (I've seen examples of both ways they could do it). I think the former still leaves open the possibility that GB could trade Rodgers in a year or two. 

Forget Love, we should commit to Rodgers. if it comes down that Love lights it up in the preseason and he shows promise of being a franchise QB, just flip him for a top 10 pick and move on.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Forget Love, we should commit to Rodgers. if it comes down that Love lights it up in the preseason and he shows promise of being a franchise QB, just flip him for a top 10 pick and move on.

This is never going to happen. Forget about trading Love. He's our QBOTF, for better or worse and the only reason we'd trade him is if sucked, and therefore we wouldn't get jack**** by trading him.

4 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I believe that cutting Preston is our last option. And many moves will depend on the final cap number. By the way, borrowing from other years' cap (as Gute said) can perfectly be converting P5 salaries/roster bonuses to signing bonuses, it doesn't mean that we are buyers in FA.

I would agree with this statement.  I don't think the Packers want to release Preston Smith.  I think their preference is to return their 3-headed EDGE.

What's the rush to designate Love as anything ?  What's the rush to set an imaginary, arbitrary timeline based on zoom calls ?

No training camp last year, possibly no training camp this year. Third string practice reps that equate to basically nothing. He's under contract thru 2024. Rodgers got a new contract and started in his fourth year, and was basically a coin flip from being the first overall pick. Love is beyond raw and a late first. Wake me up in 2024 and remind me to worry about what to do with Love

Edited by cannondale

On 2/20/2021 at 4:22 PM, Outpost31 said:

Oh please.  Aaron Rodgers needs to stop the, “I’m underpaid,” bs.

He got top QB money each of his deals.  Guess what... Every time a QB gets paid more than any other, the others get paid more next.

Aaron Rodgers has never - EVER - been underpaid.

Not one single moment in his life.

If he’s too stubborn or too dumb to understand that’s how contracts in the NFL work, he shouldn’t be the next host of Jeopardy.

Never heard Rodgers complain.  Rest of this totally agree with.  He had a couple of down years.  Seasons lost to injury.  Personally before this year I thought he was washed and overpaid.  This year performance > pay.  So what.  

How many times do the Packers do really dumb things as a franchise?  Like REALLY dumb things?  Things that we see right away.  Not talking about a Joe Johnson signing.  I'm looking at Love/Rodgers.

We traded up for Love.  We all know the clock is ticking on Rodgers.  We really gave up the idea of adding an "impact" guy to the roster while having Rodgers.  (Impact as in, can play and contribute in year one, and certainly year two and three.) We did that to protect he future, and we traded a 4'th rounder to make it happen.

Even us internet guys know how contracts work.  We easily see the "out" in the Rodgers contract.

So if they do extend Rodgers now to create space, that jeopardizes the Love timeline.  And ultimately a move like this shows that the front office made a mistake with Love.  And realistically cannot capitalize fully on the Love draft pick and first round contract.

I just don't see our front office doing that after Rodgers had a great, MVP bounce back season.  I can see it happening if his level of play continues into next year.

COVID is the unknown variable in all of this.  I think the Packers will do everything they can to remain competitive without touching that Rodgers deal this off-season.  Next year?  Different story.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Tag Jones for 8 mil?

I really like Jones, but that money could be better spent elsewhere. We can replace production at RB more easily than almost any position.  Wish we had the cap because he would be great for one more year but we can hit the bargain bin and draft on this one.

I hope someone gives him a decent contact because he’s earned it but this is a tough year for free agents. 

Edited by Refugee

It's possible this will be a free agency period with VERY depressed values.

There will be a lot of 1 year and 2 year deals, and a lot of guys who are gotten for bargains since there are so many teams up against or over the cap.

It's unlikely, but if the top of the market for edge rushers is around $12M/year instead of $20, that is the situation you can move on from Preston Smith.  There should be a better player available.

If Shaq Barrett and Leonard williams are only getting 12, then I don't see how someone like Ingram or Justin Houston would be getting more than 8.  Both would be an upgrade over Preston.