WR Henry Ruggs involved in serious car accident

.Buzz

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

It is awful and Ruggs should have called for a driver, but let's also remember that Ruggs likely feels just as bad for what occurred.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished.  He absolutely should face some form of punishment.  But I think too often people forget that mistakes truly do happen, even mistakes that were 100% avoidable.  This shouldn't define Ruggs as a person, and imprisoning him for 20+ years is not going to dissuade others from drinking-and-drinking.   

We will agree to disagree on this entire take. I hope they lock him up and I hope he never plays football again, and I hope the victims family takes him to the cleaners in civil court too.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I was wondering about this, too.  Is it known that he took a breathalyzer, or have blood drawn at the hospital, or was he charged with DUI for declining a breathalyzer? 

Far as I know, if you go to the hospital following a suspected DUI, they're drawing blood. Might need a judge's signature for it, but they're doing it. 

If he declined a breathalyzer on the scene, they would have taken him to the hospital to get blood drawn. Considering he was injured as well, that much was a given. 

Some states differ in procedure though. My gut says they were already drawing up the citations and charges though. Blood work and getting charges filed can be done quick, but this was super fast, which tells me he was probably breathalyzed. But I don't know every fact yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe you’re right. I just wanted us to make the playoffs lol. It’s been so long. And our young players killing people and throwing away their lives is not helping.

your core good players are still pretty young tho. Kolton, Crosby, Jacobs, Yannick, Mullen, Carlson, Renfrow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Cursed? You all have a history of hiring and signing ****ty people. These are the consequences of the choices you make.

Ruggs had a history of problems? or are you just speaking out the wrong end? Mayock has made it a point to bring in high character players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I ordered a Nike Vapor Elite Ruggs jersey one week ago, afterwards my girlfriend fought with me saying getting a current player is dumb because they don’t last long and you never know what’s gonna happen, I assured her Ruggs is breaking out this season and is under contract 4 more years.  

Welp… out a good tree fiddy. Can’t return custom items. 

you should fight this one 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geezy said:
1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I ordered a Nike Vapor Elite Ruggs jersey one week ago, afterwards my girlfriend fought with me saying getting a current player is dumb because they don’t last long and you never know what’s gonna happen, I assured her Ruggs is breaking out this season and is under contract 4 more years.  

Welp… out a good tree fiddy. Can’t return custom items. 

And marry his lady. I bet she gets him a Bo Jackson jersey for Christmas.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I just called. They are gonna see what they can do. Not too reassuring, but I’m gonna keep bugging. It hasn’t even shipped but it’s “custom” and non cancelable.

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

It's a Class B felony in Nevada with a minimum sentence of 2 years in prison (max of 20).  Maybe one of the legal eagles around here ( @jrry32) want to chime in, but very rarely do you see a DA willing to plead down a felony that results in the death of an innocent anything below manslaughter, but by my understanding of vehicle codes related to DUI (which is relatively extensive because I had a family member who was killed by a drunk driver) if there is alcohol involved there would have to be a serious hole in the DA's case to get them to plead down homicide to manslaughter when the offender was so clearly negligent and capable of preventing the altercation.  This is - and would/should be looked at significantly differently - than causing a death due to reckless driving (e.g. excessive speeding, etc.).

The range of outcomes is certainly vast, but Clark County is certainly not afraid of doing the pleas in that manner.  Even if you didn't get this down to vehicular manslaughter (which is typically a misdemeanor), he could easily get no worse than an involuntary manslaughter plea, which is only a class D felony.

As a first time offender (i'm not sure if he is or not) he could easily get that plea and get the low end of that (which is one year and could have numerous modifications such as deciding when to serve the time) or potentially avoid jail completely in that situation, I'd guess (either via a suspended sentence or just through different sentencing? Not sure on the latter, though the former is certainly within the purview of a judge I'd assume)...but I don't know that well enough, to be honest. I'm not 100% sure, but I think only class E felonies in NV are probational, so if he did manage to plea it down to involuntary manslaughter he may have to serve time unless its part of the plea, I'd guess? 

Little's conviction was also an involuntary manslaughter and I'm pretty sure he only got probation, community service, fines, etc. Different state, but certainly not unprecedented if he didn't serve any real time. 

To turn this back around to football? I think this has nominal impact on his football career. He'll likely go on the exempt list or be out the rest of the year I would imagine, but I really don't know that there's a great chance that he misses more than the rest of this year. 

10 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well he should never see a football field ever again... what he did is horrendous 

No worse than what Mike Vick did.🤷‍♂️

Maybe I’m coming at this from a hippie dippie perspective, but what good does banning him from the NFL do? If he were a bag boy or plumber he wouldn’t be banned from working.

I can even see an argument against any jail time. Prisons are meant to protect the public from serious threats, using them punitively for accidental crimes does nothing but waste time, money and potential.

Fines? Absolutely. Driving ban? Obviously. Civil case and massive compensation to the family? Goes without saying. But good does jail time do? From a purely practical perspective, he can pay the family back more if he’s still making NFL money.

• Like 4

He’ll be back in the league in a few years. Much younger than a Plaxicco Burress, who did two years for illegal possession of firearm in New York. One life and millions of dollars down the drain. It’s that mentality of “it will always happen to the other guy”…. Very sad.

26 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well he should never see a football field ever again... what he did is horrendous 

Are you advocating for permanent bans of employment for every person who has a DUI? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I'm simply pointing out that the only thing that separates what he did from anyone else who has a DUI is awful luck. Tragic and awful and obviously the reason behind stiff DUI penalties, but still just tragic, awful luck that this was his result.

Note that I am in favor of even stiffer DUI penalties than currently exist - but a permanent employment ban is not among the consequences I would consider.

• Like 2