OBJ holding out for new contract

RaidersAreOne

What about the idea that the Giants have a new offensive coordinator and system.  Beckham Jr. seems primed to miss a lot of time.  He hasn't been with Eli Manning this off-season because he's touring and hanging with his friends.  And now there are reports of him holding out until he gets his mega contract - a contract that the Giants do not need to give him right now.  This doesn't exactly look all that great for Beckham Jr's upcoming season.

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Now, do I think that they won't take phone calls of inquiry if this faux (at least where the initial report is concerned) report stirs up activity or interest from other teams (I find it hard to believe that other teams haven't called already though as soon as anything remotely close to the word "holdout" came out of OBJ's camp)?  Of course.  But unless they're bowled over by an offer, I refer back to my earlier post about how this is one of those situations where no one is going to offer the kind of compensation the Giants would require AND be willing to give OBJ the money he's demanding.  You do that for QB's, pass-rushers in their prime, and that may be it at this point (I don't even know that OT's or CB's command THAT much anymore because scheme and surrounding talent can do a lot to make up the difference).

22 minutes ago, showtime said:

What about the idea that the Giants have a new offensive coordinator and system.  Beckham Jr. seems primed to miss a lot of time.  He hasn't been with Eli Manning this off-season because he's touring and hanging with his friends.  And now there are reports of him holding out until he gets his mega contract - a contract that the Giants do not need to give him right now.  This doesn't exactly look all that great for Beckham Jr's upcoming season.

Eli is the only pro quarterback to throw Odell passes. They've been throwing since Odell was in high school. Their rapport isnt an issue. The new offense is a good point though. But he will get the playbook like any other player on the team. He probably was going to miss most of the preseason anyway due to rehab from his injury, so he would be taking mental reps anyway. None of that is a reason to trade a player. 

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Eli is the only pro quarterback to throw Odell passes. They've been throwing since Odell was in high school. Their rapport isnt an issue. The new offense is a good point though. But he will get the playbook like any other player on the team. He probably was going to miss most of the preseason anyway due to rehab from his injury, so he would be taking mental reps anyway. None of that is a reason to trade a player. 

I wasn't saying any of that in terms of trading him.  I agree 100% with you in that regard.  I was just saying that in terms of him maybe struggling this upcoming season.  

People love to say well WR isnt an important position and how paying WRs doesn’t lead to SBs. Paying any single position doesbt lead to SBs. There is no way you can tell me the Giants aren’t a better team with Odell. Game changers are worth the money and he is certified game changer. 

15 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

People love to say well WR isnt an important position and how paying WRs doesn’t lead to SBs. Paying any single position doesbt lead to SBs. There is no way you can tell me the Giants aren’t a better team with Odell. Game changers are worth the money and he is certified game changer. 

It’s cost benefit. WR’s end up getting paid more than they are valued so elite WR’s tend to end up being burdens on teams. 

Are the Giants better with him, depends on how much you are paying for him. On rookie contract yeah he easily is. At 20 million you start looking at what you have to live without for him and then it becomes tougher. 

He’s been on the team for 4 years, the Giants has one winning season and it had more to do with their defense and they were nowhere near the Super Bowl. Tbh I wouldn’t even have paid Calvin Johnson that much if he was around today. So many teams get stuck paying a Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson and he becomes the primary feature of their team and they don’t do anything unless a Brett Favre falls in their lap. And the Giants are in a rebuild, they aren’t going from 3-13 to a Super Bowl anytime in the next 2-3 seasons. So realize you’ll be paying him all this money in a rebuild. If they were close then it might be different. Then you might want to keep an impact player and not rock the boat. They aren’t close. You give him a five year contract and your probably not even competitive until the last two years of it, and even that’s a big IF because I don’t like Eli’s odds of making it that far, which gives you a whole other question mark. You might pay him , then when the teams in better shape all of a sudden you have to find a new guy to throw to him. 

Archived