Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Minnesota is going to start allowing bars and restaurants with outdoor seating to open in June.  I was going to ask if they'd at least at allow that soon. Someone mentioned that churches can have services limited to 20 people outside but i haven't seen that

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

In an enclosed space, without much air movement (like in stores) the air does not dissipate nearly as quickly. If you are standing anywhere for any length of time, you essentially are building up more potential virus in that air space (if you have it). That "cloud" of your own air doesn't then stay magically within 6ft of you, it stays where it was for a decent amount of time after. Without a mask on, the viral load is higher because NONE of the virus was filtered. With a mask on, you are filtering out some of that virus. An increased viral load gives worse symptoms. These are all things that are discussed in this thread, how do you not get it AT ALL? You're foolishness could cause someone to get severely sick or die. How do you feel about that thought?

How do I feel? Well I wouldn’t feel bad at all since it wouldn’t be my fault. If your concerned about contracting it then it’s on you to wear a mask - and wear it right. Half of the population that are wearing masks, half of them don’t even wear it right. You, me, and everyone else know this when we go in to a store so it’s each individuals own responsibility to protect themselves. If it’s mandatory to wear a mask in a particular store I will adhere to the guidelines. Otherwise nah I’m good. I’ll execute my social distancing practices to perfection like I have been.

15 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

How do I feel? Well I wouldn’t feel bad at all since it wouldn’t be my fault. If your concerned about contracting it then it’s on you to wear a mask - and wear it right. Half of the population that are wearing masks, half of them don’t even wear it right. You, me, and everyone else know this when we go in to a store so it’s each individuals own responsibility to protect themselves. If it’s mandatory to wear a mask in a particular store I will adhere to the guidelines. Otherwise nah I’m good. I’ll execute my social distancing practices to perfection like I have been.

A surgical mask does not protect you from contracting the virus.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Minnesota is going to start allowing bars and restaurants with outdoor seating to open in June.  I was going to ask if they'd at least at allow that soon. Someone mentioned that churches can have services limited to 20 people outside but i haven't seen that

We started that here a week or two ago.

indoor seating tomorrow.

im optimist but I’ll let some other folks be the canaries in the coal mine initially.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mission27 said:

A surgical mask does not protect you from contracting the virus.  

^^^ keep repeating it, we’ll get there eventually.

Wearing a mask doesn’t say “I’m afraid of catching the virus“.  It says “I have enough respect for those around me who may be elderly, immunocompromised, etc., that I’m willing to take this small step to help secure THEIR health and safety.”

Not wearing a mask says you’re lazy/forgetful at best, and I’m being nice here.

• Like 4

The CDC has released their plan that got shelved for apparent political reasons, which we won't be discussing. It's called: CDC Activities and Initiatives Supporting the COVID-19 Response and the President’s Plan for Opening America Up Again.

You can read the 60 pages HERE

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We started that here a week or two ago.

indoor seating tomorrow.

im optimist but I’ll let some other folks be the canaries in the coal mine initially.

Yeah I'm not going anywhere near restaurants or bars for at least another month. The irony is, I probably won't even get take out when I've been trying to support local twice a week since crap went down. I don't want to go inside any of these places once people start going back. Masks won't do a damn thing with contaminated circulating air

41 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Which further bolsters why I don’t feel bad for not wearing a mask. 

But if I understand you you are saying "I don't have to wear a mask and I won't feel bad if I give someone COVID by not wearing a mask, because its their responsibility to wear a mask to protect themselves" 

Which is incredibly illogical because: 

A mask does not do much to prevent you from getting sick

It does a lot to prevent you from making other people sick 

If you just don't care about making other people sick that's fine, I'm an ******* too, but this is pretty simple tbh

This is like refusing to wear a condom because its your girlfriends responsibility to not get pregnant so she should wear it herself

Edited by mission27
  • Like 7

5/20/2020 MoL Scores:

Methodology and disclaimer: MoL score is a simple metric for measuring rate of spread of the novel coronavirus within communities.  The metric was developed by mission and TLO and has not been subjected to academic peer review.  The MoL looks at a trailing average of daily new cases and compares this to trailing active cases within the community.  These rankings do not represent the opinion of anyone other than mission and TLO and should not be taken as advice of any kind.  Please note while the numbers themselves are objective calculations, smugness and Taylor Swift lyrics may factor into our commentary and decisions on tiers.  The MoL reserves the right to make changes to this methodology at any time.  Please follow all relevant governmental and/or WHO/CDC guidance.  We will defeat this virus.

"I'm intimidated by the fear of being average."

- Taylor Swift

Today another country had more new cases than the US, which is wonderful!

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

giphy.gif

Tier 1 countries are pretty,... pretty... pretty good

How to safely open up in Tier 1? Take a look at the MoL method for proper easing, otherwise known as the MoL public health cost benefit matrix.

Israel: 0.4

Netherlands: 0.4

France: 0.6

Japan: 0.7

Portugal: 0.9

Belgium: 0.9

Italy: 1.0

UK: 1.2

Hong Kong: 1.8

Spain: 2.0

South Korea: 2.1

USA: 2.2 (we passed you @Shady Slim)

Czech Republic: 2.2

Australia: 2.3

Switzerland: 2.4

Sweden: 2.7

Philippines: 2.7

Singapore: 2.8 

Germany: 3.6

Turkey: 3.6

Austria: 4.8

China: 5.4

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

source.gif

Tier 2 countries aren't  doing as well as Tier 1 countries, but eh, we'll give 'em a pass, why not!  Especially since Larry doesn't want to get fatwahed again.

Global: 3.2

Canada: 3.5 (all-time low and look at Quebec!)

Denmark: 4.4

Russia: 4.9

Ireland: 5.4

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

giphy.gif

These countries could really do a lot better if they followed common decency standards, like washing their hands or respecting wood 

India: 9.9

Iran: 12.3

Brazil: 15.3 (today Brazil had the most new cases in the world, the first time a country other than the United States had this "badge of honor" since Italy on March 21st) 

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

source.gif

We feel very bad for the last Tier 4 country remaining on our list, the Mexico.  Its like that time Funkhauser became an orphan at 60 (RIP Funkhauser).

Mexico: 27.0

USA State Level MoLs

image.png

After a bad day yesterday, a step in the right direction for DC metro today.  Minny's new case numbers continue to be too high and they are dragging their neighbor down with them.  

MoL Deaths

Another solid drop in the death rate which is now 39% below the all-time high of ~4 weeks ago.  There have been 14,542 deaths since May 10th compared to the MoL's forecast of 14,443.

image.png

Canada

image.png

What a difference a week can make, Quebec is doing much better now although Ontario is becoming a bit problematic.  Cases still way to high in Montreal area but slowing down quite a bit.  This is great news. 

@JBURGE

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work including @ET80 @acowboys62 @dtait93 @Dome @naptownskinsfan @kingseanjohn @Malfatron @Shady Slim @malagabears @daboyle250 @vikesfan89 @ramssuperbowl99 @sdrawkcab321 @Nazgul @kingseanjohn  @TwoUpTwoDown @Xenos @Nex_Gen @FinneasGage @TVScout @seriously27 @N4L and the others who love us so much

We'd even like to thank @pwny @Glen and others for their critical attitude because of the attention it brings to the great work MoL is doing 

@TLO

source.gif

The message of this gif is that the MoL is signing out until tomorrow (although we reserve the right to **** on anyone who questions our authority on these matters)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

^^^ keep repeating it, we’ll get there eventually.

Wearing a mask doesn’t say “I’m afraid of catching the virus“.  It says “I have enough respect for those around me who may be elderly, immunocompromised, etc., that I’m willing to take this small step to help secure THEIR health and safety.”

Not wearing a mask says you’re lazy/forgetful at best, and I’m being nice here.

Which further bolsters why I don’t feel bad for not wearing a mask. 

• Like 3