Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Give Nevada 10-14 days

Potentially because of Vegas re-opening but point stands tbh

Almost the entire world is doing the exact same thing right now, most places including most US states are seeing a continued reduction in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths even as they open up, but there are a handful of US states that are seeing huge spikes right now for seemingly no reason

Edited by mission27

Arizona is just weird. 

They reported 1400 cases today, with nearly 15% of tests coming back positive, and yet only 2 deaths.  

I guess the true test will be, in a few days or a week, do we start to see the death rate spike?  Same with North Carolina. 

The data is weird. This is either the start of a massive outbreak in Arizona and NC too, or the data is wrong. 

6/7/2020 MoL Scores:

Methodology and disclaimer: MoL score is a simple metric for measuring rate of spread of the novel coronavirus within communities.  The metric was developed by mission and TLO and has not been subjected to academic peer review.  The MoL looks at a trailing average of daily new cases and compares this to trailing active cases within the community.  These rankings do not represent the opinion of anyone other than mission and TLO and should not be taken as advice of any kind.  Please note while the numbers themselves are objective calculations, smugness and Taylor Swift lyrics may factor into our commentary and decisions on tiers.  The MoL reserves the right to make changes to this methodology at any time.  Please follow all relevant governmental and/or WHO/CDC guidance.  We will defeat this virus.

"And baby, I get mystified by how this city screams your name
And baby, I'm so terrified of if you ever walk away"

- Taylor Swift

Today the MoL stands with the protesters 

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

giphy.gif

Tier 1 countries are pretty,... pretty... pretty good

How to safely open up in Tier 1? Take a look at the MoL method for proper easing, otherwise known as the MoL public health cost benefit matrix.

New Zealand: 0.0 (perfect score still!)

Spain: 0.1*

Netherlands: 0.3

Belgium: 0.4

France: 0.6

UK: 0.6

Italy: 0.7

Australia: 1.8

Sweden: 1.8*

USA: 2.0

Canada: 2.0

Czech Republic: 2.2

Ireland: 2.4

Portugal: 2.7

Turkey: 2.8

Japan: 2.8

Global: 3.0

Switzerland: 3.3

Singapore: 3.3

Germany: 3.5

Austria: 5.2

Israel: 5.7

Hong Kong: 7.1

China: 8.2

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

source.gif

Tier 2 countries aren't  doing as well as Tier 1 countries, but eh, we'll give 'em a pass, why not!  Especially since Larry doesn't want to get fatwahed again.

Russia: 3.9

Philippines: 4.1

Denmark: 5.4

South Korea: 5.5

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

giphy.gif

These countries could really do a lot better if they followed common decency standards, like washing their hands or respecting wood 

Brazil: 9.1

India: 10.2

Iran: 11.7

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

source.gif

We feel very bad for the last Tier 4 country remaining on our list, the Mexico.  Its like that time Funkhauser became an orphan at 60 (RIP Funkhauser).

Mexico: 23.5

USA State Level MoLs

image.png

Note: MoL adjusted to remove the impact of the 5,014 probable deaths added on 6/5.  Consistent with treatment on Worldometer. 

MoL Deaths

ALL TIME LOW! Lowest number of deaths since March 26th. 

image.png

Canada

image.png

Great job @JBURGE

Quebec doing great.  Ontario not great!

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work including @ET80 @acowboys62 @dtait93 @Dome @naptownskinsfan @kingseanjohn @Malfatron @Shady Slim @malagabears @daboyle250 @vikesfan89 @ramssuperbowl99 @sdrawkcab321 @Nazgul @kingseanjohn  @TwoUpTwoDown @Xenos @Nex_Gen @FinneasGage @TVScout @seriously27 @N4L and the others who love us so much

We'd even like to thank @pwny @Glen and others for their critical attitude because of the attention it brings to the great work MoL is doing 

@TLO

source.gif

The message of this gif is that the MoL is signing out until tomorrow (although we reserve the right to **** on anyone who questions our authority on these matters)

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Arizona is just weird. 

They reported 1400 cases today, with nearly 15% of tests coming back positive, and yet only 2 deaths.  

I guess the true test will be, in a few days or a week, do we start to see the death rate spike?  Same with North Carolina. 

The data is weird. This is either the start of a massive outbreak in Arizona and NC too, or the data is wrong. 

I read a few weeks ago that part of the genome of the virus was deleted in Arizona and that it became a significantly less deadly strain because of it. 

Probably why people are getting it and not dying 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I read a few weeks ago that part of the genome of the virus was deleted in Arizona and that it became a significantly less deadly strain because of it. 

I would really like this article posted if you read stuff like that. As the self-appointed good news guy, I say we need more to save us from the doom and gloomers.

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

I would really like this article posted if you read stuff like that. As the self-appointed good news guy, I say we need more to save us from the doom and gloomers.

We talked about it back in May. Here's a link:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/scientists-discover-unique-mutation-of-new-coronavirus

It's important to note that the researchers are not saying this means the virus is weakening:

“The takeaway is that one virus had a large deletion which demonstrates that it is possible for the virus to transmit without having complete portions of its genetic material,” study co-author Matthew Scotch said in an email. “This was one virus and we do not suggest that this means a ‘weakening’ of any kind.”

I'm interested to see the study out of Italy by Arnaldo Caruso who has claimed that he has seen a weaker strain of the virus in a patient who was asymptomatic but had a very high viral load. 

What's interesting to me in regards to the Spanish Flu is after the 2nd huge wave the virus slowed down dramatically, and after the much milder 3rd wave- the virus seemed to be gone. It's predicted only 1/3 of the world's population had been infected with the virus, which means either 1) Herd Immunity kicked in or 2) the virus mutated.

It's too bad we didn't have the research back then that we do today. I would've loved to see how the virus mutated over the course of the pandemic and specifically where and when it mutated. Corornaviruses typically don't mutate nearly as much as influenza viruses, but COVID-19 has been running rampant through many bodies- so even if it doesn't mutate much- it's had plenty of opportunity to. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

The monday  mashup:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-deaths-covid-19?country=BRA~ITA~RUS~ESP~GBR~USA~OWID_WRL

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/

What scientists have discovered about Covid-19 in the first 6 months of the pandemic

Scientists have discovered that the virus can only enter the human body in one way: by latching on to specific receptors on the surface of cells, known as ACE-2.

Scripps Research, in the laboratory of Professor Michael Farzan, was the first to discover the ACE-2 receptor, during the SARS outbreak in 2003. 

However, as Farzan explains, the problem with ACE-2s is that they exist throughout the body, inside the nose, lungs, intestines, even the heart, kidneys, and brain.

From an infection in the nose, which leads to a loss of the sense of smell, to an inflammation in the lungs, which causes a severe cough.

By infecting the upper respiratory tract, nose, and upper lungs, the inflammation causes coughing and sneezing, which quickly spread the disease. Meanwhile, infecting the lower respiratory tract can cause serious and life-threatening breathing problems. 

https://www.explica.co/what-scientists-have-discovered-about-covid-19-in-the-first-6-months-of-the-pandemic/

The spread map:

99cabd03df6b085b80d82661766efbb5

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

I'm interested to see the study out of Italy by Arnaldo Caruso who has claimed that he has seen a weaker strain of the virus in a patient who was asymptomatic but had a very high viral load. 

The Italian doctor is very interesting to me as well. A lot of people think the guy is a total choad and not worth his insight but a lot of people are so doom and gloom about this virus that they want things to be destroyed and have too much pride to ever admit they're wrong about something. What happens in the next few weeks w/ all the people out there by the hundreds of thousands, not social distancing and a lot not wearing masks, will be a great indicator of how strong the virus is. We've already seen plenty of states spike quite a bit of if the death count doesn't follow suit, we can at least acknowledge this thing might be weakening.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, N4L said:

I read an article (might have been posted here) and it looks like the same thing might've happened in Italy.  

8 hours ago, N4L said:

Thats interesting, I remember seeing that too.  In a few weeks if Arizona still has a ton of cases and low level of deaths that would lend some credence to that theory tbh.

56 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Thats interesting, I remember seeing that too.  In a few weeks if Arizona still has a ton of cases and low level of deaths that would lend some credence to that theory tbh.

It's a possibility, but I think it's more likely that the "at risk" population is probably being more cautious. Of course, I don't think there's any way to measure this.