Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

That doesn't mean I can't change my mind with further information from what I will be reading. Saying that I will look into it more does not mean I throw my current opinions out the window and start from a blind slate. It means that I will go into it with an open mind and the mindset that I don't know everything. 

I keep telling you that you need to actually read the research if you want to understand how if’s wrong, and you keep coming back and saying “I’ll read it and let it prove me wrong, but I’m right because x, y, z.

Sometimes, when you haven’t done the research, it’s okay to just not say anything. That is, in fact, an option.

I think I'm going to bow out of this thread for now. I can see some new opinions coming in that I'd rather not get lumped in with. 

@pwnyfeel free to send me over any links that you'd like me to check out. Otherwise, I'll just see where google takes me. 

• Like 4

Just now, -Hope- said:

silenced by fear, huh? that sounds terrible. almost as bad as spending most of your life keeping a part of yourself secret for fear of discrimination or professional reprisal.

Or fear for your life. Or fear that you'll be attacked just for being who you are. No one is silencing the outspoken Christians. We're still letting them speak. We're just not listening anymore.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

why should a player coming out be controversial?

It’s not a matter of should or shouldn’t it’s a matter of what is. Sexuality is an extremely controversial topic. Idk how you could argue otherwise.

8 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Paradox of tolerance was explained on page 7.

Also, this idea that Christianity is against Homosexuality from the evangelical crowd is based on a mistranslated passage of Leviticus that says, "Man should not lay with a boy as if he were to lay with a woman, lest he be stoned." Which means, pedophilia is wrong. Has nothing to do with Homosexuality. 

Preaching on this site isn't allowed, so I'm gonna leave this as academic as possible. But as Jesus says, "Don't be a jerk. Love your neighbor." But I'm just paraphrasing, since I'm Jewish and I'm tired of people proselytizing where no one asked for it.

Not to get too much into this but there are a ton more verses that reference homosexuality than the one you referred to.  

but in the end, yes you are right. we should love another, but loving someone doesn’t me agreeing with everything they do. My son could do just about anything and I would still love him. Same concept. 

Just now, dtait93 said:

It’s not a matter of should or shouldn’t it’s a matter of what is. Sexuality is an extremely controversial topic. Idk how you could argue otherwise.

It's controversial if you're a bigot.

Congratulations to Carl, big step for the NFL. I hope more men in the NFL will find it easy to come out after this.

Just now, dtait93 said:
35 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

why should a player coming out be controversial?

if something shouldnt be controversial, its the posters' fault who make it a controversial thing.

And to quote @dll2000 I want them to change

Just now, TENINCH said:

Gay Straight Trans White Black Green Yellow Orange Purple Lefties Righties

Love you all!

No offense is intended here, but this is one the more surprising stances by an individual poster in this thread for me personally.

Tip of the cap, truly.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnny Nix said:

Not to get too much into this but there are a ton more verses that reference homosexuality than the one you referred to.  

but in the end, yes you are right. we should love another, but loving someone doesn’t me agreeing with everything they do. My son could do just about anything and I would still love him. Same concept. 

Sure. But that's the one quoted most by Evangelicals.

If your son came out to you, you would love him regardless. And you would support him. And you would educate yourself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, viking said:

It's controversial if you're a bigot.

Congratulations to Carl, big step for the NFL. I hope more men in the NFL will find it easy to come out after this.

No it’s literally controversial in extremely large parts of the world that’s just reality and I say this as someone who doesn’t believe it should be. I don’t think tuning out what still happens to many people who say this out loud does anyone any favors.