1960s Horror - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

In this thread we will be deciding the sixth entrant into the FF Best Movie Ever Tournament - Horror movie from the 1960s!

Please see rules at the following thread:

Nominations are open! Please be clear that you are nominating flicks. Movies with 3+ nominations will make it into the polling phase. Nominations will close Thursday, 2/27/2020 at 6pm EST. 

@Calvert28 @THE DUKE @FinneasGage @FourThreeMafia  @Dome @The Orca @August4th @thrILL! @Malfatron @Elky @daboyle250 @rackcs @MikeT14 @Daniel @MWil23 @seminoles1 @scar988 @JoshstraDaymus @JonStark @animaltested @Ozzy @Bullet Club @AlexGreen#20 @Fresh Prince @KManX89 @TENINCH @SlevinKelevra @bucsfan333 @Ray Reed @Bucketheadsdad @kingseanjohn

13 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

im excited to nom Freaks (1932)

Freaks as a horror movie?  It was cool but not sure it was a horror movie, maybe for its time I suppose but Frankenstein will kick its *** so does not really matter.  

Psycho and Rosemary's Baby and that is about it.  Night of the Living Dead is highly overrated, unique idea but the movie itself is pretty tame I thought and not that great.  But zombie nuts love it because it is the one that started it all.  Never got the slow moving human trying to eat you thing as very scary.  Have to give it a nod maybe for originality but no way is it better than Psycho.  

Oh but Psycho has to do with a serial killer so it is instantly not a horror movie?  It is well acted in and well shot visually so it is instantly not a horror movie?  Yeah right.

PS The horror movie posters in this time span are more often than not better than the movies they represent.  

Edited by Ozzy

19 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I imagine much less noms will come in for these final two time periods 

It stinks because 40 and before vs 50s, yeah Frankenstein gets the nod for the 40s and before.  Then the 50s is total crap potentially with House of Wax or House on Haunted Hill and some other creature features that are not great.  Cannot really think of any others in the 50s.  Should have been between Frankenstein and The Body Snatcher but that was made in 1945.

Frankenstein (1931) 
The Body Snatcher (1945)
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Nosferatu (1922) 
House of Wax (1953)  
House on Haunted Hill (1959)

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Oh but Psycho has to do with a serial killer so it is instantly not a horror movie?  It is well acted in and well shot visually so it is instantly not a horror movie?  Yeah right.

nominate what you want, but I think Night of the Living Dead best represents the horror genre of the 60s

6 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

nominate what you want, but I think Night of the Living Dead best represents the horror genre of the 60s

I nominate movies I liked that fit the genre, and nothing about Night of the Living Dead is visually iconic or memorable I feel. 

Edited by Ozzy

Just now, Ozzy said:

nominate movies I liked that fit the genre, and nothing about Night of the Living Dead is visually iconic or memorable I feel.  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has a lot of visually awesome shots that are very unique and really creepy.  

That red background when he opens that door, freaking awesome.  And for a movie that basically shows nothing of note in terms of blood and gore, yet still seems crazy gory, that is wildly impressive film work and story telling.  

I agree with TCM. Thats my number 1 pick of the 70s

I like the pacing of NotLD a lot, and there are some genuine creepy scenes like the basement scene.

especially since most of the movies up to that point are pretty lame.

Good conflict between the characters, and an "anyone can die" feeling

4 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I agree with TCM. Thats my number 1 pick of the 70s

I like the pacing of NotLD a lot, and there are some genuine creepy scenes like the basement scene.

especially since most of the movies up to that point are pretty lame.

Good conflict between the characters, and an "anyone can die" feeling

My bad, posted a Texas Chainsaw Massacre thing in here and removed it.  Regardless honestly nothing of note comes to mind when thinking of Night of the Living Dead other than sure it is creative.  But say Psycho is out which it is not yet in terms of this time span, Rosemary's baby, slow throughout, was far more scary of a concept and visually was a better movie than Night of the Living Dead.  But still there is no conversation unless you pretend Psycho as a movie does not exist as a horror, then sure maybe it gets the nod.  

27 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

TBH it might be better just to combine the periods into one. Though too late now I guess.

I needed 8 to fit the bracket format, but I figured making it span the whole birth of cinema up until 1960 would be enough, and it probably is. The issue is that this board trends young (20s/30s), so not a lot of people are going to have the knowledge base for these eras unless they were a nerd like me and took every film class in college and not just to sleep in a dark theater all class but to actually WATCH the old classics. 

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Rosemary's baby, slow throughout, was far more scary of a concept and visually was a better movie than Night of the Living Dead. 

I like the subject matter of NotLD better. I like small oneroom type movies about a group of people trying to get out of a situation, and they all have different ideas on how to do so.