Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At the bare minimum gyms and spas and whatnot need to shut down. Masks need to be required at all businesses when socially distancing isn't possible. Bars and restaurants need to be operating at a fraction of their total capacity.

It's not ideal, but if they don't act the alternative is quarantining again.

Kind of crazy they thought they could re-open EVERYTHING at once without masks, social D and not have issues 

• Like 1

Im interested to hear what people, especially those some what well versed in science, have to say about getting vaccinated in the fall if Oxford's vaccine is ready by then. Would you do it trusting the process it went through? Would you do your own research before getting it? Would you say f that? 

Edited by WizeGuy

On 6/5/2020 at 8:27 PM, TVScout said:

Spoke a little too soon, which seems to be happening quite a bit lately.

A Johnson County, Kansas resident has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a large gathering at the Lake of the Ozarks over Memorial Day weekend.

According to the Johnson County, Kansas Board of Commissioners, that person attended the same bar as the positive case confirmed in Camden County, Missouri.

SOURCE

9 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Im interested to hear what people, especially those some what well versed in science, have to say about getting vaccinated in the fall if Oxford's vaccine is ready by then. Would you do it trusting the process it went through? Would you do your own research before getting it? Would you say f that? 

I think this is kinda irrelevant TBH. The only reason is bc I'd think we'd have plenty of people who would've got it a few weeks/months prior before it even gets to us plebs. If anyone other than front line workers get it first, it's a disgrace. I'd assume by the time we even get the chance, we'd see immediate side effects before then and can make an educated decision based on that. If it gets to everyone all at once, I'll do the second batch do I can see how it effects people first

• Like 1

In related news...

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson said starting next Tuesday the Show-Me State will remove all statewide restrictions that have been in place during the COVID-19 outbreak...

During phase two, Parson said there will be no statewide health order. All statewide restrictions will be lifted, but Parson said local officials will still have the authority to put further rules, regulations or ordinances in place...

“Now is the time to begin repairing our economy and getting Missouri businesses, communities, and citizens back on their feet and back to work,” Parson said.

I guess the rising numbers don't matter because economy.

29 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I would get the vaccine as soon as available 

17 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

In related news...

I guess the rising numbers don't matter because economy.

The numbers haven't mattered for the past couple weeks. Everyone's got their agenda and are bored. We need a treatment or vaccine to get rid of this unless it just dies

34 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

The numbers haven't mattered for the past couple weeks. Everyone's got their agenda and are bored. We need a treatment or vaccine to get rid of this unless it just dies

Agreed. I just find it asinine that governments of all levels came up with guidelines for re-opening and have since thrown them away. I get things change but so far those changes haven't all necessarily been positive.

• Like 1

6/11/2020 MoL Scores:

Methodology and disclaimer: MoL score is a simple metric for measuring rate of spread of the novel coronavirus within communities.  The metric was developed by mission and TLO and has not been subjected to academic peer review.  The MoL looks at a trailing average of daily new cases and compares this to trailing active cases within the community.  These rankings do not represent the opinion of anyone other than mission and TLO and should not be taken as advice of any kind.  Please note while the numbers themselves are objective calculations, smugness and Taylor Swift lyrics may factor into our commentary and decisions on tiers.  The MoL reserves the right to make changes to this methodology at any time.  Please follow all relevant governmental and/or WHO/CDC guidance.  We will defeat this virus.

"We were crazy to think
Crazy to think that this could work"

- Taylor Swift

MoL sends its thoughts and prayers to the people of Arizona who are ruining this for everybody.  WEAR A MASK.

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

giphy.gif

Tier 1 countries are pretty,... pretty... pretty good

How to safely open up in Tier 1? Take a look at the MoL method for proper easing, otherwise known as the MoL public health cost benefit matrix.

New Zealand: 0.0 (perfect score still! they reported that the last known active case has recovered, meaning no COVID in New Zealand. if they get to the end of next week without any cases they'll officially have retired from the MoL!)

Spain: 0.1*

Netherlands: 0.4

Belgium: 0.4

UK: 0.5

Italy: 0.8

France: 0.8

Australia: 1.2

Canada: 1.6

Sweden: 1.8*

Ireland: 1.8

USA: 1.9

Czech Republic: 2.2

Hong Kong: 2.4

Singapore: 2.7

Portugal: 2.8

Global: 3.0

Turkey: 3.0

Japan: 3.1

Germany: 3.2

Switzerland: 4.8

South Korea: 5.3

Denmark: 5.3

Israel: 7.0

China: 7.2

Austria: 7.8

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

source.gif

Tier 2 countries aren't  doing as well as Tier 1 countries, but eh, we'll give 'em a pass, why not!  Especially since Larry doesn't want to get fatwahed again.

Philippines: 3.6

Russia: 3.8

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

giphy.gif

These countries could really do a lot better if they followed common decency standards, like washing their hands or respecting wood 

Iran: 7.9

Brazil: 8.8

India: 9.3

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

source.gif

We feel very bad for the last Tier 4 country remaining on our list, the Mexico.  Its like that time Funkhauser became an orphan at 60 (RIP Funkhauser).

Mexico: 24.6

USA State Level MoLs

image.png

Note: MoL adjusted to remove the impact of the 5,014 probable deaths added on 6/5.  Consistent with treatment on Worldometer. 

MoL Deaths

ALL TIME LOW! ALL TIME LOW!

image.png

Canada

image.png

Great job @JBURGE

Quebec doing great moving on up.  Ontario into Tier 1.  Now open the border.

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work including @ET80 @acowboys62 @dtait93 @Dome @naptownskinsfan @kingseanjohn @Malfatron @Shady Slim @malagabears @daboyle250 @vikesfan89 @ramssuperbowl99 @sdrawkcab321 @Nazgul @kingseanjohn  @TwoUpTwoDown @Xenos @Nex_Gen @FinneasGage @TVScout @seriously27 @N4L and the others who love us so much

We'd even like to thank @pwny @Glen and others for their critical attitude because of the attention it brings to the great work MoL is doing 

@TLO

source.gif

The message of this gif is that the MoL is signing out until tomorrow (although we reserve the right to **** on anyone who questions our authority on these matters)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mission27 said:

Kind of crazy they thought they could re-open EVERYTHING at once without masks, social D and not have issues 

Probably figured seasonality would eradicate it

• Like 1

Shortly before the governor's afternoon news conference, hospital leaders issued a statement echoing his reassurances. The statement says that hospitals have "available bed capacity and surge plans are in place to continue to serve the people of Arizona. We are well prepared to manage an increase in patient volume."

"It's important that people know we are not seeing an increase in inpatient volume," Ducey stated. "But we are prepared if that increase should come. The facts are, we've got an increase in testing, an increase in cases, and an increase in positive test results."

Re Arizona

Lot of conflicting information.  How can they have a rise in hospitalizations but not corresponding increase in inpatient volume?

A new addition to the MoLs, we will be reporting on trends in hospitalizations as well as trends in reported cases (hospitalizations are a cleaner metric because they are less reliant on volume of testing).  The below chart shows week over week changes in hospitalizations for each state for each of the last 7 days and what the two week change is as of today.

You will see hospitalizations are declining sharply in most states, flat in a handful of states, and rising modestly in a few states mainly in the Southwest plus the Carolinas.  Conspicuously missing is Florida, they stopped reporting this data to my source a couple of weeks ago or there may be a reporting lag. 

We will update this daily.

image.png

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 11:25 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pretty place though.  

This place has decent BBQ if that’s your thing.

https://www.millstonebbq.com

I second this. That place is great. Reasonable pricing too for what you get.  We go to hocking hills every year for a week (going again this Monday) and they have the some of the best ribs you will ever eat. No joke.

This year with the C19 going around we just chose to stay in the cabin the whole time instead of going places but one of things that are on our list to eat is to order take out ribs from there. Take it for what it's worth.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, MWil23 said:

The cabin we booked backs up to Old Man's cave, so I'm sure at some point we'll hike it/around it after we drink our morning cups of coffee. When we're done hiking, I'm sure we'll both have a pretty insatiable appetite, so I'm sure we'll get that squared away afterwards...maybe I'll make some brunch too.

Good to know, thanks! I'm looking at the menu now. I'm living vicariously through future me.

If you happen to venture into McCarthur and want some pizza then try Mama Ria's (I think it is). We tried it last year and It was pretty good too and not busy at all.  Just know that the waitresses won't bring you your bill, you have to walk up to the register and let them know to check you out. Don't be an idiot like us and waiting forever thinking that's it works there lol.  

Have fun man. 

• Like 1