Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Best round 1 picks:

3. CJ Stroud: Getting the best QB in the class, especially in a very thin class, is an automatic win when it's a need.  When it's at the third spot, it's an even bigger win.
19. Joey Porter: Joey Porter I think might be the best overall CB in this class, with elite athleticism, and the best tape against Marvin Harrison Jr. you'll see.  Getting him at 19 is a steal.
23. Jaxson Smith-Njigba: I was gonna take him 11 spots earlier if I couldn't trade down.
28. Anton Harrison: Harrison is being majorly slept on in this class.  I think he's only a hair under Broderick Jones, in overall talent, and he went 8th overall.
29. Jordan Addison: Tooting my own horn here, but I have Addison as just barely behind JSN in this receiver class.  He'll be a great weapon for the Titans, and a perfect complement to Treylon Burks and Chig Okonkwo.

Worst round 1 picks:

8. Calijah Kancey: I like Kancey, and he annihilated the combine, but this is a really high pick for any interior DL, much less one whose tape is not on par with his athleticism.
11. Will Levis: I've spoke ad nauseum about how bad a prospect I think Levis is.
13. Brian Branch: I don't see the hype on Branch at all and he had a pretty poor showing at the combine too, and this is ahead of guys like Ringo and Porter.
15. Lukas Van Ness: One trick pony is one trick.  He was pretty good at the combine, but didn't show like the Hercules he was supposed to be.
20. Quinten Johnston: I don't hate Johnston, I just don't understand why, with his physical ability, he didn't look better on the field.  And to take him first, over all the other receivers, is questionable tbh.

You're fired.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Best round 1 picks:

3. CJ Stroud: Getting the best QB in the class, especially in a very thin class, is an automatic win when it's a need.  When it's at the third spot, it's an even bigger win.
19. Joey Porter: Joey Porter I think might be the best overall CB in this class, with elite athleticism, and the best tape against Marvin Harrison Jr. you'll see.  Getting him at 19 is a steal.
23. Jaxson Smith-Njigba: I was gonna take him 11 spots earlier if I couldn't trade down.
28. Anton Harrison: Harrison is being majorly slept on in this class.  I think he's only a hair under Broderick Jones, in overall talent, and he went 8th overall.
29. Jordan Addison: Tooting my own horn here, but I have Addison as just barely behind JSN in this receiver class.  He'll be a great weapon for the Titans, and a perfect complement to Treylon Burks and Chig Okonkwo.

Worst round 1 picks:

8. Calijah Kancey: I like Kancey, and he annihilated the combine, but this is a really high pick for any interior DL, much less one whose tape is not on par with his athleticism.
11. Will Levis: I've spoke ad nauseum about how bad a prospect I think Levis is.
13. Brian Branch: I don't see the hype on Branch at all and he had a pretty poor showing at the combine too, and this is ahead of guys like Ringo and Porter.
15. Lukas Van Ness: One trick pony is one trick.  He was pretty good at the combine, but didn't show like the Hercules he was supposed to be.
20. Quinten Johnston: I don't hate Johnston, I just don't understand why, with his physical ability, he didn't look better on the field.  And to take him first, over all the other receivers, is questionable tbh.

Well we are taking branch to play safety so... 

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Best round 1 picks:

On Twitter I’ve been seeing more and more of this ^^^.

I’m undeterred by the “criticism”. I think he’s got the lowest ceiling of the top 3. No idea how it’s getting closer to consensus he’s #1. Size and safety distracting people from the ceiling reality I think. If every game looked like the Georgia game I would agree. But they didn’t. 

25 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Gonna take it we're good to start updating the workbooks.

Starting now.

Just got a chance to take a look at the results.

Perhaps it's something I did on my end with contract structure this round, but none of my bids registered on the results spreadsheet. I know I was cutting it close with cap space, but was not in the negative last I checked.

If you don't mind sending me a PM when you get a chance, that way I know for next round of bids if it's something I did? Thanks.

@ny92mike

Edited by eaglesfan0075

56 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

FREE AGENCY ROUND 8 BIDDING RESULTS

Any errors please let me know.  I'll wait about 20 30 minutes and start updating the workbooks.

Team GM Tags

Arizona Cardinals - @LuckyNumber11
Atlanta Falcons - @ovfd55
Baltimore Ravens - @Justone2
Buffalo Bills -
@downundermike & @Iggles25
Carolina Panthers - @MikeT14
Chicago Bears - @squire12
Cincinnati Bengals - @sparky151
Cleveland Browns - @cortes02
Dallas Cowboys - 
@eaglesfan0075 
Denver Broncos - 
@BowserBroncos 
Detroit Lions - @winitall
Green Bay Packers - 
@Ghostnote
Houston Texans - @jch1911
Indianapolis Colts - @RTTRUTH
Jacksonville Jaguars - @Trojan
Kansas City Chiefs - @RedGold
Las Vegas Raiders - @NYRaider & @Humble_Beast
Los Angeles Chargers - @whodatOL
Los Angeles Rams - @Freebirdsrams
Miami Dolphins - @mountainpd
Minnesota Vikings - @KingOfNewYork
New England Patriots - 
@Underdog
New Orleans Saints - @whodatOL
New York Giants - @ny92mike
New York Jets - @bcb1213
Philadelphia Eagles - @EaglesPeteC
Pittsburgh Steelers - @Cbrunn
San Francisco 49ers - @Forge
Seattle Seahawks - @DTMW78
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - @BucsDraftGeek47
Tennessee Titans - @Daniel & @SerenityNow
Washington Commanders - @MKnight82

I’ve been covering the “opening” guy at work while he’s on vacation. Getting up stupid early. It’s taking a toll. I meant to put in bids after work, but fell asleep instead. Hope you guys saved me anybody.

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Best round 1 picks:

Worst round 1 picks:

Agree with almost everything said here

Levis has decent tape and good measurable but damn his ego or attitude,  whatever it is makes me think he's going to bust

I like Branch but I also think he's a bit over hyped, I watched some tape earlier and felt like Syndey Brown is almost at the same level with a ton less hype.

Love Stroud, Smith-Njigba, and Porter Jr

Only thing I didn't like about Porter Jr was I thought he was a bit handsy. I feel like in college they let that slide alot more but in the NFL he's going to have to clean that up or hes always going to get called for holding or PI.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Perhaps it's something I did on my end with contract structure this round, but none of my bids registered on the results spreadsheet. I know I was cutting it close with cap space, but was not in the negative last I checked.

If you don't mind sending me a PM when you get a chance, that way I know for next round of bids if it's something I did? Thanks.

@ny92mike

Yeah I'll take a look.  Give me a bit though.

25 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

@ny92mike

Got you.

Added these guys to your roster.

0003 - A.J. Cann - RG
0122 - Andy Dalton - QB
0158 - Artie Burns - CB

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

Got you.

Added these guys to your roster.

0003 - A.J. Cann - RG
0122 - Andy Dalton - QB
0158 - Artie Burns - CB

Did you just sign the first person in each category?  Lot of A's there... or are you just good student? (bud dum dum)

Also, do not appreciate you signing A.J. Cann... k... thx... bye

5 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Did you just sign the first person in each category?  Lot of A's there... or are you just good student? (bud dum dum)

Also, do not appreciate you signing A.J. Cann... k... thx... bye

Haha I guess you can call me a student of the game 🤣

Sorry man, needed to round out my offensive line, had a big hole at LG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Haha I guess you can call me a student of the game 🤣

Sorry man, needed to round out my offensive line, had a big hole at LG

You still do 

Drum Roll GIF - Drum Roll Fill - Discover & Share GIFs

Just kidding... I like Cann, just not at what we paying him... so good deal for y'all

Not in order or anything
Trojan's favorite 5 of the first round
1. Houston Texans - CJ Stroud, it's that he took Will Anderson first incentivizing ARI to move down, then he was the one that moved up and got both of his targets for pick #2. Masterfully played imo. 

2.  New Orleans Saints - Trade up for Will Levis, the way these mocks go he'd probably have fallen to them without the trade up, but this mock the Saints don't have Derek Carr and they shot their shot to address QB. Will Levis has a lot of detractors, but he's a first round QB and the trade up to get him is commendable. I hope irl they don't do that to Carr, but I feel like a similar type move by a team without a QB after that early QB run is a realistic move and great for the mock's health.

3. LA Chargers - Bryan Bresee isn't the healthiest most accomplished on the field guy, but he projects into that Jerry Tillery role so well and the Chargers haven't stopped the run in years. Bresee has a huge role to fill on this defense that lost Khalil Mack, and he's gotta be the compliment to Joey Bosa. I think it makes a lot of sense especially late as I think he's grading consensus wise as a late 1 to 2. His injury history and being the Chargers is a scare, but fit and potential is very nice.

4. New York Giants - Quinten Johnston now I don't like this prospect, but a lot of that dislike is as an early first round pick and personal evaluation that isn't consensus. The Giants have a HUGE need at WR (unless they've addressed it in trade/FA) and although one could compare Johnston to Kevin White, Kevin White's worth another shot in the 20 range on upside. You can also compare him to a successful version of a similarish prospect in Demaryius Thomas. If they get more Thomas than White they've done well. 

5. Literally everyone - This comes before my least favorites, and I'm including them here because as I think about it they make sense, they just at the time were the more startling ones to me. This round was exceptionally well done and to me reads as more realistic than some mocks done by somewhat famous personalities. I really enjoyed it and no major major reaches to me. If I can't pick everyone, it's probably Ravens with Bijan Robinson because their run offense is going to be so gross.

Trojan's least favorite 5 of the first round
1. Chicago Bears - Broderick Jones, I kinda liked Braxton Jones at least to the point he wouldn't be the one I'm trying to replace on the last place Bears. First trade down, awesome, but then take Jalen Carter I feel. The second trade down went basically at the drop off point and you're overpaying for that tier of prospect. I like this Jones too, but this is also passing on Jalen Carter. I don't know if their was another trade maybe lined up, but going a bit deeper and getting a WR would have worked as well. Like if Carolina was bidding against a teens team, that teens team could have been pick of the litter WR and potentially more compensation. I don't dislike the prospect, just the place the trade down went and replaced one of the better young Bears is awkward to me.

2. Washington Commanders - Guard and TE aren't super positionally relevant, though both are 1-2 prospects. I don't especially like Kelee Ringo personally, but I understand some do. I feel like if you rearranged the order to CB, TE, then Guard at the tail end I'd like it more and that means I don't have a real issue with the group. Each individually looks worse to me value wise than the group overall. There were some really good options on the table, but they don't really make sense for the Commanders. This makes more sense to me looking at it in context, but when just glancing it's not my favorite as a round one success. 

3. Pittsburgh Steelers - Once again like the prospect, but TE is not what I would have guessed the Steelers would target. A couple picks before Joey Porter Jr., which seems like a perfect fit in the organization. Dad is a Steeler great, played at Penn State, has the physical build you'd describe for what the Steelers are looking for.

4. Arizona Cardinals - I like Skoronski, but like the Commanders ding, guard in the mid-first feels off -- even if he's good -- and he was drafted to play guard in this situation, though reserve tackle bonus points on the redemption side. I feel like after the trade down the Cardinals landed in a sweet spot for what I view as a top need in cornerback -- Witherspoon, Ringo and Porter shortly after with Banks and Cam Smith also being selected in the round. I really liked the trade down after they were super sniped by the Texans for Will Anderson, I just think a pivot to another defensive need where a lot of top prospects were in range would have been nice. I think I may be a little skewed know he drafts John Michael Schmitz next round and passes on defense again. 

5. Philadelphia Eagles - Adebaware seems like a combine superstar, and I get that his athletic gifts could develop into a good pick in the Eagles rotation (and I'll admit I haven't followed enough to know if the DL depth was retained or if the rookie will get a lot of snaps, but I assume he's learning behind Brandon Graham). This is a SB team though and a developmental gamble doesn't seem like boost to get the ring. Long term maybe, and maybe Ade is ready and I am wrong. I just feel like a more ready less combine super star selection could theorhetically made a push to argue for a championship next year. Christian Gonzalez on the other hand was a slam dunk in that respect and a great replacement for losing Bradberry.

@ny92mike 

See this is what I was complaining about before Mike when I had that issue with the Ryan Kelly extension.

After last round of FA, the only guy I signed was Singletary, and I was sitting at $62,000 in the positive. I literally didn't even get involved this round, entered nothing, double checked your round 8 results, signed no one. But now I'm negative $302,000

Somehow that workbook is altering things on it's own, changing values or whatever. Not sure how, but this round is proof to me. I checked I was in the positive after Singletary 3 different times. I was. But I'm not now.