TCMD 2024 - You In?

jch1911

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

I seriously wonder why some teams even bother with doing this. Houston is a great example. Converted two different players salary into signing bonus, adding 4 void years each (have I mentioned how much I hate this practice?), and yet they're listed as having the 5th most cap space in the league. Why bother with the restructures?

Titans converted $11M of Landry's salary, and yet they're 2nd in available cap. Makes no sense to me.

If you talked of last year, it made sense because they focused on 2023 salary cap situation.   Also, a several UFA wanted big and fast money, teams simply used SB to prorate over voided years to control 2023 salary cap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

I seriously wonder why some teams even bother with doing this. Houston is a great example. Converted two different players salary into signing bonus, adding 4 void years each (have I mentioned how much I hate this practice?), and yet they're listed as having the 5th most cap space in the league. Why bother with the restructures?

Titans converted $11M of Landry's salary, and yet they're 2nd in available cap. Makes no sense to me.

Its like using a credit card for purchases.  "buying " something now and paying for it later. 

If you consider the cap as a collective over multiple years... it isnt a big deal of when you payout the money.

2023 = $224

2024 = $ 250 (estimated)

You have $474 to use. 

Using $200 in 2023 and rolling $24 into 2024 to get a new total of $274....

Or

You use $220 in 2023 and roll $4 into 2024 to get a new total of $254.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The Saints are suffering from years of kicking the can down the road. They should have taken a down year after Brees retired to reset their cap. But they didn't because they are in a weak division which even a middling team can win. So they've kept the band together too long with a series of restructures. It's now to the point where even cutting every single player on the roster who gains them cap space wouldn't be enough to become cap compliant. So they need to do more restructures. In real life the league has no limit on those but in TCMD we do limit them since it's a one year simulation. We don't want everyone maxing out their cap space for a single season to go on a free agent binge.

So my suggestion for the Saints only is to allow them as many restructures as they need to become cap compliant plus 1 or 2 more. I'd previously volunteered to run the Saints if we didn't have a GM just for them. My plan was to do the minimum of restructures and maximum of cuts/trades. If I were running the Saints they would only be bidding on cheap free agents, probably no more than 3-5 million per player. They'd be active in UDFA after the draft. They'd be cap compliant for 2024 with some dead money for 2025 but in much better cap shape from that point forward. How competitive their roster would be is up to Dennis Allen. Depending on what the Falcons do at QB, the Saints might be in the mix to win the NFCS, though they wouldn't go far in the playoffs. 

I proposed this earlier.

Each team gets a limited number of restructures and UFA bidding slots.

If teams use more restructures,  they could/ should then be limited in how many UFA bidding slots they have available for a few rounds of bidding.  You could add a restriction on how much of the cap savings can be used in the first few rounds of UFA bidding.  

Essentially its trading restructures for UFA bidding slots.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Its like using a credit card for purchases.  "buying " something now and paying for it later. 

If you consider the cap as a collective over multiple years... it isnt a big deal of when you payout the money.

2023 = $224

2024 = $ 250 (estimated)

You have $474 to use. 

Using $200 in 2023 and rolling $24 into 2024 to get a new total of $274....

Or

You use $220 in 2023 and roll $4 into 2024 to get a new total of $254.

I get the principle of buying space in 2023, and I know how the practice actually works. 

I'm simply saying that I find it hard to believe that two teams projected in the top 5 in available space for 2024, neither of whom had HUGE money QB's to pay, needed to push the expenditure forward at all. I would think when the money is available now, it would be prudent to spend it now, leaving yourself extra flexibility in future years when things do happen. Rather than pushing $2,000,000 into four future seasons, get the $8M out of the way now when the space exists, and the flexibility remains down the road.

I'd be very curious to hear some of these financial decisions in front offices. 

10 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

I get the principle of buying space in 2023, and I know how the practice actually works. 

I'm simply saying that I find it hard to believe that two teams projected in the top 5 in available space for 2024, neither of whom had HUGE money QB's to pay, needed to push the expenditure forward at all. I would think when the money is available now, it would be prudent to spend it now, leaving yourself extra flexibility in future years when things do happen. Rather than pushing $2,000,000 into four future seasons, get the $8M out of the way now when the space exists, and the flexibility remains down the road.

Could be the player prefers the base salary paid in a lump amount vs it being spread out over 18 weeks.

Could be a tax benefit from the players perspective.  In an income free tax state, that makes a big difference.  Getting that paid as signing bonus vs weekly and taxed in road games states

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

Texans' Sheldon Richardson got 8.5m for one year. His full salary could be covered in 2023 but Texans needed other veteran helps and their 2023 salary cap won't permit that.   Texans are young teams so they could afford to absorb the dead money from voidable years in 2024 if they sign elsewhere.  That is a good financial decision for Texans.

As for Jets.   pffftttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Could be the player prefers the base salary paid in a lump amount vs it being spread out over 18 weeks.

Could be a tax benefit from the players perspective.  In an income free tax state, that makes a big difference.  Getting that paid as signing bonus vs weekly and taxed in road games states

Possibly but Tennessee too?  I dunno.  It doesn't matter because it is a common practice for one year contract to get veteran's service everywhere.

Edit:  Ah... There is no income tax in Tennessee. 

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Texans are young teams so they could afford to absorb the dead money from voidable years in 2024 if they sign elsewhere.  That is a good financial decision for Texans

See I was under the impression they’re stuck with the dead money regardless.

You save the money now. But then you’re stuck with those little cap dings on future years. Pro-rated.

1 minute ago, RTTRUTH said:

You save the money now. But then you’re stuck with those little cap dings on future years. Pro-rated.

It basically just works like if someone gets cut so its accelerated to the first year. Not the biggest fan of them in general but they are becoming basically the norm these days.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

It also give the team optionality. Restructuring gives the team cap space now but there's no obligation to spend it this season as it can be rolled forward. So if something comes up where they want to spend more, they have the space to do so and if the opportunity to sign someone expensive doesn't appear, they can save the money for the following year. 

• Like 1

I think we're full.... Insert eyes emoji

Arizona Cardinals - @LuckyNumber11
Atlanta Falcons -  @ovfd55
Baltimore Ravens -  @Trojan
Buffalo Bills - 
 @DER10N92

Carolina Panthers - @Outlaw
Chicago Bears - @Madmike90
Cincinnati Bengals - @sparky151
Cleveland Browns - @cortes02
Dallas Cowboys -    @WizardHawk + @MaddHatter will help out whoever GMs

Denver Broncos - @BowserBroncos
Detroit Lions - @KingOfNewYork

Green Bay Packers -   @Packerraymond
Houston Texans - @jch1911
Indianapolis Colts - @RTTRUTH
Jacksonville Jaguars - @Justone2
Kansas City Chiefs - @RedGold & @TedLavie
Las Vegas Raiders - @NYRaider   
Los Angeles Chargers - @whodatOL
Los Angeles Rams - @Freebirdsrams
Miami Dolphins - @mountainpd 
Minnesota Vikings -  @MikeT14
New England Patriots - @DTMW78

New Orleans Saints - Committee with  @whodatOL on the draft
New York Giants - @ny92mike
New York Jets - @JetsandI
Philadelphia Eagles -   @downundermike
Pittsburgh Steelers - @Cbrunn
San Francisco 49ers - @Forge 
Seattle Seahawks - @squire12
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - @EaglesPeteC

Tennessee Titans - @Daniel  co-GM  @SerenityNow
Washington Commanders - @MKnight82  

Edited by jch1911
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I think we're full.... Insert eyes emoji

Arizona Cardinals - @LuckyNumber11
Atlanta Falcons -  @ovfd55
Baltimore Ravens -  @Trojan
Buffalo Bills - 
 @DER10N92

Carolina Panthers - @Outlaw
Chicago Bears - @Madmike90
Cincinnati Bengals - @sparky151
Cleveland Browns - @cortes02
Dallas Cowboys -    @WizardHawk + @MaddHatter will help out whoever GMs

Denver Broncos - @BowserBroncos
Detroit Lions - @KingOfNewYork

Green Bay Packers -   @Packerraymond
Houston Texans - @jch1911
Indianapolis Colts - @RTTRUTH
Jacksonville Jaguars - @Justone2
Kansas City Chiefs - @RedGold & @TedLavie
Las Vegas Raiders - @NYRaider   
Los Angeles Chargers - @whodatOL
Los Angeles Rams - @Freebirdsrams
Miami Dolphins - @mountainpd 
Minnesota Vikings -  @MikeT14
New England Patriots - @DTMW78

New Orleans Saints - Committee with  @whodatOL on the draft
New York Giants - @ny92mike
New York Jets - @JetsandI
Philadelphia Eagles -   @downundermike
Pittsburgh Steelers - @Cbrunn
San Francisco 49ers - @Forge 
Seattle Seahawks - @squire12
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - @EaglesPeteC

Tennessee Titans - @Daniel 
Washington Commanders - @MKnight82  

Minor issue: @SerenityNow is the Titans co-GM.

• Like 2