GDT Preseason Week 3 - Patriots at Panthers

Deadpulse

Week 3: New England at Carolina  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which players will build on last week's success?

• Adrian Clayborn
    • Ja'Whaun Bentley
    • Cordarrelle Patterson
    • James White
    • Patrick Chung
    • Keonta Davis
  2. 2. Which players who need to step up finally show out?

• Jason McCourty
    • Eric Decker
    • Keion Crossen
    • Duke Dawson
    • Phillip Dorsett
    • Mike Gillislee
    • Braxton Berrios

@dhunt2402 @Hunter2_1 @TomRalph @I_GET_SAX @1ForTheThumb @DoleINGout @Troy Brown @Yin-Yang @AlNFL19 @nextsuperstar1 @Starless @LD696 @ChazStandard @jofos @Elky @SBLIII @Spooky @bluemushrooms @The Third Rider @Nex_Gen @goldfishwars @mission27 @mcmurtry86 @redsoxsrule1437 @everlong @iothar @tonyto36 @atmer @PatriotsWin! @Pats#1 @lancerman @GoldenboyDB12 @biggbrd @ICB @Iron_man @InRodWeRust

Image result for patriots at panthers preseason

Things to look for this week:

1. With how well the pass rush played last week, how well do they control the LOS and contain mobile savant Cam Newton?

2. Christian McCaffrey is the type of back Joshy McD loves. He is also the type of back our defense historically can't stop.

3. In the dress rehearsal game, the curtain may finally be revealed on where exactly J McCourty stands. Will he be a starter? Reserve? or is it what many suspect, destined for the unemployment line?

4. How does the OL adjust after losing top reserve Wynn for the entire year? A guy slated to play backup to almost every position on the line? Whose next up?

5. Last week none of the RB's really showed up on the ground. Some of that was due to Brady dominating the offense. Do we see someone pull away in the race to backup Rexy?

6. Cordarelle Patterson showed a little of what he can offer in the regular season. While it was impressive, what this corp needs is consistency. Can he build on a flashy night?

7. A lot of praise was thrown Hogan's way after last week. Not sure he deserves as much as he is getting with his 5 ypr. That is no where near what he has, can, and we need him to average per reception. Here's hoping he improves it after getting some early game work with Brady last week.

8. Keion Crossen got a HUGE opportunity last week... and squandered the hell out of it. Where does he stand now? Do we see someone else get the chance instead this week? Or does the coaching staff see something in Crossen and want him to work out the kinks? As a nickel corner, its not a good thing to lead the game in Total and Solo tackles. Also not a good thing to lead the game in penalties and penalty yards. 

9. Will we see more than one pass attempt from Ettling?

10. Eric Decker... is this is last week in NE?

17 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

1. With how well the pass rush played last week, how well do they control the LOS and contain mobile savant Cam Newton?

Hopefully well. The edge, at the moment, is much more walled off than it was last season. It’s unfortunate we won’t get to see the guys go hunt the way they did last week. Safe to say they’ll work to contain for the most part. 

Though this is probably a good warm up for playing Houston.

2. Christian McCaffrey is the type of back Joshy McD loves. He is also the type of back our defense historically can't stop.

I like Chung more in the box, manning up against backs/tight ends. The linebackers don’t have the speed or ability.

3. In the dress rehearsal game, the curtain may finally be revealed on where exactly J McCourty stands. Will he be a starter? Reserve? or is it what many suspect, destined for the unemployment line?

Remains to be seen. It doesn’t look great for him right now.

4. How does the OL adjust after losing top reserve Wynn for the entire year? A guy slated to play backup to almost every position on the line? Whose next up?

Likely the same. Brown was sloppy last week but Waddle is a serviceable T when healthy.

5. Last week none of the RB's really showed up on the ground. Some of that was due to Brady dominating the offense. Do we see someone pull away in the race to backup Rexy?

If anyone, it’ll be Hill. Gillislee is already 6 feet under IMO. Michel still isn’t healthy.

6. Cordarelle Patterson showed a little of what he can offer in the regular season. While it was impressive, what this corp needs is consistency. Can he build on a flashy night?

Probably not. I expect him to get a fair amount of looks, but more as am experimenting process than anything else. I don’t think we see too many preseason week 2 performances from Patterson in the regular season.

7. A lot of praise was thrown Hogan's way after last week. Not sure he deserves as much as he is getting with his 5 ypr. That is no where near what he has, can, and we need him to average per reception. Here's hoping he improves it after getting some early game work with Brady last week.

It’s low right now, but doesn’t really matter all that much. It’s preseason. 

His yards per catch will be low because he won’t be the deep threat he was in 2016. With Edelman gone, he’s the safe blanket (with Gronk).

8. Keion Crossen got a HUGE opportunity last week... and squandered the hell out of it. Where does he stand now? Do we see someone else get the chance instead this week? Or does the coaching staff see something in Crossen and want him to work out the kinks? As a nickel corner, its not a good thing to lead the game in Total and Solo tackles. Also not a good thing to lead the game in penalties and penalty yards. 

He didn’t play well last week. No idea if the coaching staff like him that much more than Lewis or Jackson, but we’ll see. He’ll get a ton of time in the second half.

10. Eric Decker... is this is last week in NE?

I think so. If not this, then next. 

2 hours ago, Iron_man said:

I'm hoping to see some improvement from Keion Crossen. He messed up on two easy PI calls. He needs to turn that head so he can see the ball coming.

IMO he was playing hyper aggressive to make the roster. It wound up costing him BIG. We will see if the coaching staff even gives him a chance to rebound, but his performance last week was embarrassing. He did have some pretty hard hits, but his tackling technique was pretty flawed too. 

Mike ReissESPN Staff Writer 

While some players might not suit up due to coach's decision, here are a few Patriots who aren't expected to play tonight for health/rehab reasons: OT Marcus Cannon, RB Sony Michel, TE Jacob Hollister, S Nate Ebner, LB Harvey Langi, TE Ryan Izzo, RB Rex Burkhead, CB Duke Dawson.

Not J-Holli :( 

3 minutes ago, Iron_man said:

well Keion had one good play that I got to see on that two point conversion. Sadly I was at work and missed like the first half of the game.

It was pretty uneventful. Brady connected with Dorsett 4 times, including on the first play of the game, and trusted him on an audible screen pass for 10 yards or so. Nobody's been great so far I think.

Poggi just fumbled. That's bad for his chances right there.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Any analysis from this game? Missed it all

I think Dorsett looked pretty good.  He clearly has earned Brady's trust.  Decker looks pretty trashed and McCarron who cant catch with his hands looks more useful.  Things aren't great.  Tobin looks like our swing tackle right now.

I think BB has to look at trading some guys to get depth on OL and possibly at WR.

The big positive is JMac played some S early on and ideally maybe he makes it as a S and Jordan Richards can finally gtfo.

Archived