Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m with you on grilling, BBQ and smoking. I haven’t gone out for a steak in a long while.

Its an event. 

A local place we frequent for breakfast is now doing take out breakfast Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I don’t think it will be very good but we will be ordering from them this weekend. It’s more a matter of wanting them to stay in business and keep people working.

I have a bit of a dilemma with all of this.

I’m trying my best to spend the money I can afford to spend in an effort to do my part. I’ve ordered toys for my grandkids, a bike for my grandsons birthday, meals from skip the dishes, hobby supplies from Michaels, a new iPad, swimming pool supplies, grocery delivery. We’ve signed up with a local fellow who has started an old fashioned dairy delivery business, new grill grates, and a bunch of other stuff. As soon as people are allowed back to work we are doing 20k worth of renovations.

My dilemma is that I’m not sure about ordering items right now. While I may be helping businesses stay open and keeping people employed I’m potentially putting them in harms way. I’m just not certain how many people working really want to be working. 

I would actually be interested in other people’s thoughts on this.

The mail has been light, but packages are near Christmas level. So the extra packages are helping me out tremendously and giving me hours. I'm already at 35 hours and still have two more days left in this pay week. I'm exhausted. But...those checks are pretty sweet. Our office is doing a great job at sanitizing the office, practicing social distancing before we leave for the street, giving us sanitizer/gloves/masks, so keep ordering. 

• Like 3

4/22/2020 MoL Scores:

Methodology and disclaimer: MoL score is a simple metric for measuring rate of spread of the novel coronavirus within communities.  The metric was developed by mission and TLO and has not been subjected to academic peer review.  The MoL looks at a trailing average of daily new cases and compares this to trailing active cases within the community.  These rankings do not represent the opinion of anyone other than mission and TLO and should not be taken as advice of any kind.  Please note while the numbers themselves are objective calculations, smugness and Taylor Swift lyrics may factor into our commentary and decisions on tiers.  The MoL reserves the right to make changes to this methodology at any time.  Please follow all relevant governmental and/or WHO/CDC guidance.  We will defeat this virus.

"So don't look now, I'm shining like fireworks over your sad, empty town."

- Taylor Swift

Today the MoL adds Singapore, China gets back into their groove, and a lot of people are being real buzzkills. 

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

Hong Kong: 0.5 (Hong Kong has held steady here for 8 of the last 9 days, very impressive!) 

South Korea: 0.5 

Australia: 1.0 (a new all-time low for Shady's people, can they break below 1??)

Austria: 1.5 

China: 1.9 (with the wave of cases associated with the Russia border crossings tapering off and now signs of other clusters yet, China jumps back into Tier 1 with their lowest score in 16 days, great news)

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

France: 2.5 (holding steady here for another day, getting close to to Tier 1 status but would like to see the numbers down a bit more)

Italy: 2.8 (same as France)

Portugal: 3.3 (a slight tick up, but new cases have been pretty stable the last week or so)

Netherlands: 3.3

Philippines: 3.3 (#seasonality)

Germany: 3.4

Spain: 3.6 (all-time low for Spain)

USA: 4.5 (new all-time low for USA, new cases seem to be generally trending down although we still haven't seen the steep drops we'd like to see before we start talking about Tier 1)

Global: 4.8 (another all-time low)

Sweden: 4.9 (Sweden with a lower MoL than Sweden... hmmmm)

Japan: 5.0 (showing real signs of slowing down)

Denmark: 5.0

Belgium: 5.0

UK: 5.3 (a word of caution - UK's number is messed up because they do not report recoveries, which makes it look like there are more folks still sick than is actually the case and skews the numbers)

Turkey: 5.9

Iran: 6.4* (consistently bs numbers, tbh)

Canada: 8.2 (trending about 8-10 days behind the US in MoL scores, but for other reasons like testing and per capita cases they are probably ok)

Ireland: 8.9 (we're bumping Ireland up due to restatements of recoveries, but expect them to be back on the way down)

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

Brazil: 11.9

India: 11.9

Mexico: 17.4

Russia: 17.8 (Russia makes a move into Tier 3, with new cases plateauing a bit the last 5 days, hopefully this is largely contained to the Moscow outbreak which is further along maybe than the rest of the country) 

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

Singapore (NEW): 23.5 (Singapore being added due to popular demand, people have pointed to this as evidence that the MoL was wrong... lol... but if we're being honest this looks like a pretty localized outbreak with the migrant communities that took a very long time to develop without any distancing and they're already slowing down, we think they will be OK in a few weeks, but will watch this)

USA State Level MoLs

image.png

Generally positive numbers, slightly less positive in California, Connecticut, and a few of the other large states. South Carolina didn't maintain the sub-2 as the MoL predicted. 

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work including @ET80 @acowboys62 @dtait93 @Dome @naptownskinsfan @kingseanjohn @Malfatron @Shady Slim @malagabears @daboyle250 @vikesfan89 @ramssuperbowl99 @sdrawkcab321 @Nazgul @kingseanjohn @mistakey @TwoUpTwoDown @Xenos @Nex_Gen @FinneasGage and the others who love us so much

We'd even like to thank @pwny @Glen and others for their critical attitude because of the attention it brings to the great work MoL is doing 

@TLO

• Like 7

5 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I understand. However individual actions are always important. It’s really no different than social distancing etc. 

I appreciate your thoughts though. I feel better doing something rather than nothing so my plan is to continue what I’ve been doing. 

Im also starting to get cabin fever.😎 I haven’t been out much since January.

I'd like to find a way to do the same type of stuff if I get my stimulus check

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

10 days since I last had many symptoms (the cough has been lingering a little), after nearly 3 weeks of suffering a decent amount, and my chest is hurting again and I have a fever.

Great.

Prayers for you man. Hope it's just lingering affects that will go away soon.

6 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

10 days since I last had many symptoms (the cough has been lingering a little), after nearly 3 weeks of suffering a decent amount, and my chest is hurting again and I have a fever.

Great.

I wonder if I got COVID back in September. It was the worst I've ever been sick. I had a fever for almost 3 weeks and a cough that lasted a couple months after it. Ever test at the doc came back negative, they couldn't figure anything out. I even had a heart arrhythmia that presented and docs thought it could have been viral related.

Maybe I'm patient zero...

6 hours ago, D82 said:

The mail has been light, but packages are near Christmas level. So the extra packages are helping me out tremendously and giving me hours. I'm already at 35 hours and still have two more days left in this pay week. I'm exhausted. But...those checks are pretty sweet. Our office is doing a great job at sanitizing the office, practicing social distancing before we leave for the street, giving us sanitizer/gloves/masks, so keep ordering. 

That’s good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

13 hours ago, theJ said:

This particular joint has a large eat in area, and serves a lot more than just pizza.  It's also in the middle of an outdoor mall, and i suspect that the mall owners or whatever just shut the whole place down.  So they may not have been given much choice.

They're also the best place to get pizza near me and have ruined me to all other bad pizza.  So no pizza for me :(

That makes sense.  Our legal department is looking into the lease for the owner to see if we couldn't reopen to do curbside and third party delivery.  It would at least ease some pressure off of our sister store in the area, though there wouldn't be much profit in it.  I think the issue is going to come down to, if mall management makes an exception for one food place, then they have to offer that option to everyone.  

10 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m with you on grilling, BBQ and smoking. I haven’t gone out for a steak in a long while.

Its an event. 

A local place we frequent for breakfast is now doing take out breakfast Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I don’t think it will be very good but we will be ordering from them this weekend. It’s more a matter of wanting them to stay in business and keep people working.

I have a bit of a dilemma with all of this.

I’m trying my best to spend the money I can afford to spend in an effort to do my part. I’ve ordered toys for my grandkids, a bike for my grandsons birthday, meals from skip the dishes, hobby supplies from Michaels, a new iPad, swimming pool supplies, grocery delivery. We’ve signed up with a local fellow who has started an old fashioned dairy delivery business, new grill grates, and a bunch of other stuff. As soon as people are allowed back to work we are doing 20k worth of renovations.

My dilemma is that I’m not sure about ordering items right now. While I may be helping businesses stay open and keeping people employed I’m potentially putting them in harms way. I’m just not certain how many people working really want to be working. 

I would actually be interested in other people’s thoughts on this.

Most of my folks on my team, and across the other two stores, want to work.  Beyond parents staying home to watch their kids and a few people who are high risk medically (or have high risk family members like me) the biggest culprit are teenagers whose parents don't want them to work.  Few of our people are just "taking off" at this point.  We've also done a lot of outreach in the community to other essential businesses feeding them, as well as the hospital in the area. 

I realize we aren't everybody, but I figured I would share.  Personally, I would order more third-party delivery if I didn't live so far removed from it.  DoorDash has one restaurant that is 25 minutes away and takes over an hour to get there, so I don't bother with them.  GrubHub has more options, but a lot of them closed down, and one place jumped off because the GrubHub commission was too high (and they had plenty of business coming in anyway.). 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Most of my folks on my team, and across the other two stores, want to work.  Beyond parents staying home to watch their kids and a few people who are high risk medically (or have high risk family members like me) the biggest culprit are teenagers whose parents don't want them to work.  Few of our people are just "taking off" at this point.  We've also done a lot of outreach in the community to other essential businesses feeding them, as well as the hospital in the area. 

I realize we aren't everybody, but I figured I would share.  Personally, I would order more third-party delivery if I didn't live so far removed from it.  DoorDash has one restaurant that is 25 minutes away and takes over an hour to get there, so I don't bother with them.  GrubHub has more options, but a lot of them closed down, and one place jumped off because the GrubHub commission was too high (and they had plenty of business coming in anyway.). 

Thank you.