Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

14 minutes ago, Xenos said:

A somewhat positive feature in the jobs report is that most of the newly unemployed described their status as temporary.

"Almost everyone who's unemployed expects to be reemployed in the next six months," Hassett noted. "That suggests that Americans are doing what Americans do, which is taking a tough hit but remaining optimistic and hopeful."

Originally we were told to expect three months of furlough. But now there's talk of it even going into next year. If that is the case, I'm likely going to be screwed with the Cares Act set to expire in July.

28 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I mean... Didn't we already know that? I don't think anyone actually thought the 30 million+ unemployment applications were from people who are actually unemployed, lol.

13 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Originally we were told to expect three months of furlough. But now there's talk of it even going into next year. If that is the case, I'm likely going to be screwed with the Cares Act set to expire in July.

There will definitely be a new bill passed when that time comes if things haven't opened back up on a wide sale

Roy Horn, half of the famed Las Vegas magic and entertainment duo Siegfried & Roy, has died of complications related to the coronavirus, partner Siegfried Fischbacher said in a statement Friday. He was 75.

5/8/2020 MoL Scores:

Methodology and disclaimer: MoL score is a simple metric for measuring rate of spread of the novel coronavirus within communities.  The metric was developed by mission and TLO and has not been subjected to academic peer review.  The MoL looks at a trailing average of daily new cases and compares this to trailing active cases within the community.  These rankings do not represent the opinion of anyone other than mission and TLO and should not be taken as advice of any kind.  Please note while the numbers themselves are objective calculations, smugness and Taylor Swift lyrics may factor into our commentary and decisions on tiers.  The MoL reserves the right to make changes to this methodology at any time.  Please follow all relevant governmental and/or WHO/CDC guidance.  We will defeat this virus.

"But one of these things is not like the others
Like a rainbow with all of the colors
Baby doll, when it comes to a lover
I promise that you'll never find another like"

- Taylor Swift

Today the MoL switches to a seven day MoL as opposed to five days, to account for weekly swings, and smugness reigns in the USA where numbers are plummeting. 

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

giphy.gif

Tier 1 countries are pretty,... pretty... pretty good

How to safely open up in Tier 1? Take a look at the MoL method for proper easing, otherwise known as the MoL public health cost benefit matrix.

China: 0.3 (all-time low for the CCP!)

Hong Kong: 0.3 

South Korea: 0.5

Israel: 0.7

Netherlands: 0.9

Czech Republic: 1.2

France: 1.3

Belgium: 1.4

Italy: 1.4

Portugal: 1.5

Switzerland: 1.8

Austria: 1.9

Japan: 2.1

Australia: 2.3 (back in the right direction for shady's boys)

Turkey: 2.9

Sweden: 3.0

Germany: 3.1

Spain: 3.2

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

source.gif

Tier 2 countries aren't  doing as well as Tier 1 countries, but eh, we'll give 'em a pass, why not!  Especially since Larry doesn't want to get fatwahed again.

USA: 3.0 (a day or two more at this level and the USA will jump into Tier 1!!!!!!)

UK: 3.3 (all-time low, too bad Canada isn't quite there yet although gaining) 

Philippines: 3.4

Ireland: 3.9

Global: 3.8 (sticks at the all-time low level, as Europe goes up a bit but the rest of the world gets better)

Singapore: 4.2 (#seasonality for #singapore makes MoL smug af)

Canada: 4.5 (big league progress for Canda, lets see them drop below 4 in the next week! I believe in the Canada)

Denmark: 6.1

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

giphy.gif

These countries could really do a lot better if they followed common decency standards, like washing their hands or respecting wood 

Iran: 9.8* (karmas a ***** and we're keeping the mhere)

Russia: 10.5 (again MoL was smart to keep these ****s in Tier 3)

India: 12.3

Brazil: 16.1

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

source.gif

We feel very bad for the last Tier 4 country remaining on our list, the Mexico.  Its like that time Funkhauser became an orphan at 60 (RIP Funkhauser).

Mexico: 25.0 (still below Cinco de M levels, but a bit of a tick up)

USA State Level MoLs

image.png

Above is restated in terms of the 7 day MoLs which leads to a bit of a convergence with the new numbers for the national level and we are quite happy to see Minnesota out of Tier 4.

MoL Deaths

US deaths rates with another big fall today, now at 17% below the all time high, and a big drop from prior Fridays.  This is great news!  Wish the media would cover this.  Oh well.

image.png

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work including @ET80 @acowboys62 @dtait93 @Dome @naptownskinsfan @kingseanjohn @Malfatron @Shady Slim @malagabears @daboyle250 @vikesfan89 @ramssuperbowl99 @sdrawkcab321 @Nazgul @kingseanjohn @mistakey @TwoUpTwoDown @Xenos @Nex_Gen @FinneasGage @TVScout @seriously27 @N4L and the others who love us so much

We'd even like to thank @pwny @Glen and others for their critical attitude because of the attention it brings to the great work MoL is doing 

@TLO

source.gif

The message of this gif is that the MoL is signing out until tomorrow (although we reserve the right to **** on anyone who questions our authority on these matters)

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Roy Horn, half of the famed Las Vegas magic and entertainment duo Siegfried & Roy, has died of complications related to the coronavirus, partner Siegfried Fischbacher said in a statement Friday. He was 75

A ton of people in Vegas probably just lost a bet that he was going to get eaten by a tiger. 

• Like 1

Since we are reopening work next week to try and take some pressure off the other locations, I had to get my ears lowered to be in compliance with our grooming policy.  

Sports Clips has four stores near me, only one was open.  I couldn't find any other barbershop that I knew of that was opened, so I went there.  You have to call ahead, they book one person every 30 minutes and you must have your essential business paperwork, as well as the grooming policy.  They didn't just cut my hair to the policy though, but they have to know it's for that reason (I pulled the part directly from our policy manual.). They did a great job, didn't feel rushed, and it worked well even with the mask on.  It's worth a shot if you need it done. 

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

It leaked out that Maryland's phase 2 is not set to begin until September, and phase 3 (which includes opening of schools) until January 1 2021.  Phase one isn't all that different from what's going on right now in the lockdown to be brutally honest.  

With the nursing home/ALF numbers, I thought a little bit more would be opening up. 

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

This was mentioned before with regards to hospital layoffs several pages ago. Take what you want from this article. For me this stands out the most:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/08/852435761/as-hospitals-lose-revenue-thousands-of-health-care-workers-face-furloughs-layoff

When you read all of the press releases about hospitals furloughing employees, they say that those with seniority will be asked to fulfill and be cross-trained in those roles to help the stress on the current group.  

However, I have to say, a pandemic is not the right time to train a whole lot of people on how things work in the ICU or ER.  Maybe nurses who assist with surgeries, but how many of these people are front-desk admin types, or recovery nurses, or just the nurses who check your blood pressure and vitals when you come in?  It's a whole different job, and you have to limit who gets those- it's a lot more training than just saying "shadow me" for two weeks.  That is malpractice waiting to happen. 

Plus, there just isn't going to be the hours for those people.  All of the field hospitals are closing up, hospitals are actually restarting elective surgery because the waves just have not happened in most places.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

But how many of these places will not reopen, or reopen with less employees than before.......that's the trillion dollar question.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, D82 said:

Hogan has never been my favorite, but I feel like he has handled this situation extremely well and really taken care of the citizens of the state. 

Yeah, I'm fine with 95% of what he's doing.  He's losing a lot of his base support though, because people want this lockdown lifted now and feel he's the main culprit behind it.  Sad, but it's true.  

The only issue I've had with him is how we are treating nursing homes/ALF, and my friend's mother just found out her mother's facility is going to now start removing positive cases until they recover, or pass away.  It's almost criminal that they were locked away with healthy people. 

So does China get held responsible for this? Can they be sued at an international level? A lot of people are pretty ticked off because of all this a lot of lives lost.

Edited by Chiefer