Total Control Mock Draft Interest Thread

EaglesPeteC

With the NFL season winding down and the off season starting up, the TOTAL CONTROL MOCK DRAFT will be starting up in the upcoming weeks. While we are not ready for signups just yet, we wanted to create a thread introducing this Mock Off season format and hopefully bring in new interested members and answer questions anyone might have about how it works. What I am providing below is a real quick snapshot of how it works and is no way a comprehensive breakdown of it. If you want more information PLEASE ASK! That is what this thread is for.

If you are new to this mock, please feel free to ask questions.

If you have participated in TCMD before feel free to let us know you are following and interested and let the potential new members know about it.

WHAT IS TCMD?

It is a full individual GM mock offseason that goes through, the entire gamut of transactions from cuts, tags, tendered offer sheets, waive wire, trades, free agency, the draft and UDFA and will eventually be finalized with an Awards thread to wrap up the mock. We do encourage groups and/or forum wide GMing of any team if people are interested in that, but it has been geared mostly towards a single individual running each team

This mock is managed using several google docs, designed to make the entire process of managing your team easy.  Trust us when we say you don't need to be an expect excel operator.  This google docs are user friendly and removes most of the extensive time and calculations in managing your cap.  If you can commit to us 10 minutes of your time, we'll have you navigating through these google workbooks with ease and understanding.

CUTTING AND TAGGING PLAYERS

- It is a salary cap mock that goes off of each team's projected salary cap space from www.overthecap.com. You have to say within the salary cap at all times. If you cut or trade a player all guarantees are accelerated into the 2018 cap hit just like in real life.

- There will be a google doc provided that has your team's salary cap info and will CALCULATE FOR YOU the ramifications of cutting or trading any player off your roster.

- Besides the franchise and/or transition tag, there will be no ability to sign your own free agents before Free Agency begins.

FREE AGENCY 

- Every player is available to be bid on at the start of free agency

- Free Agency is done in rounds. Each team has the ability to put in offers for 4 players each round. 3 of those bids are for UDFA's and 1 bid is held to resign your own free agent on your own team.

-Your team also has RESERVE BIDS, for your own free agents. These reserve bids will only trigger if another team bids on your player. The original team will also get a "hometown discount" of 7% when building a contract

- Every player is assigned a AVERAGE PER YEAR (APY) salary they are looking for. In order to bid on a player. You have to be willing to meet his minimum APY. A player's APY is reduced each round he remains on the market.

- Every contract is built in a google doc. What is great about the doc is it will tell you in the doc whether your contract is acceptable before you submit it. This will prevent you from having contracts come back to you. 

- The player will go to the highest bidder. The google doc factors in (a) the APY each team offered as well as (b) the signing bonus and (c) the 7% hometown discount when deciding who is the highest bidder

DRAFT

- The only thing that really differs in draft version of TCMD is there is a google doc that lists all the draft eligible players and keeps track of who has been selected and available. It is really helpful tool for all involved so that we don't have repeat picks.

- All draft slots are 40 minutes long. 

AWARDS

We have all members vote on several awards after nominations are posted at the end of the mock. It is a fun way to cap off the whole process.

There is more to the whole process, lots of little details I am leaving out, but I wanted to provide a snap shot of what this mock will look like. Let us know if you are interested and what team or teams you would like to GM or be involved with. Official signups will be open in a couple weeks, but your responses will help us gauge interest. 

8 hours ago, EirePacker said:

The TCMD is the whole reason I created an account here after years of being an outside reader only. Happy to help in anyway needs be

Awesome!!! We love new comers. I see by your name that you are a Packers' fan. Would you be down with GMing another team if it comes to that? 

Vikings fan here who would love to GM, especially since I have good time for it now. I've done about 5 GM mocks to completion to date, fwiw, a while back before med school stuff kicked in at that time. EaglesPeteC, I've seen your name around here often, though I don't believe I participated in a mock with you specifically yet. Would enjoy it.

3 minutes ago, PurpleMugen said:

Vikings fan here who would love to GM, especially since I have good time for it now. I've done about 5 GM mocks to completion to date, fwiw, a while back before med school stuff kicked in at that time. EaglesPeteC, I've seen your name around here often, though I don't believe I participated in a mock with you specifically yet. Would enjoy it.

We put on a pretty good show.

4 minutes ago, PurpleMugen said:

I believe ya, pardner. I've been meaning to jump back into a good mock, just finished up medical school so my schedule opened up like wings a-spreadin', thank God.

Congrats on Medical school, appreciate the career choice.  

3 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

Congrats on Medical school, appreciate the career choice.  

Thanks a bunch, man. Being frank, it's a really hard road. But I hear the tougher part is the one I just cleared, thank God. So we keep on chuggin' along!

Practice Free Agency Transaction Workbook

I wanted to provide you all with some sample Google Workbooks that double as practice workbooks.  Our veterans will be familiar with them but there are some changes from last years, so it's worth a look all the same.

This workbook is a copy of what every team GM will be provided privately, you and I will be the only members with access to it.

In this sample doc, you'll be able to edit certain cells, while the rest of the workbook is protected from accidental damage.

Once you've opened the workbook with Google Sheets you'll be able to edit the unprotected cells.

The purpose of using google sheets is so that everything can be managed and updated using minimal help.  It also, allows everything to be shared either privately or publicly within the forum.  So if you are interested in joining this mock draft you must be willing to work within these workbooks that I've created.

The complexity of the workbooks isn't with the GM trying to figure it out, if you spend 10 minutes getting an understanding of it now, using these practice workbooks you'll have no problem with it during the mock draft.  The complexity is building them in such a way that it makes your job all that much easier.

With this sample doc, I've provided you the ability to select your own team, just for viewing purposes. 

mrgBcERUvVqPU1LMwAZW4XEaTcb51b2KhofEMNBG

Simply, use the drop down arrow (circled in image above) to change the team.  Using the drop down list above, you can then select the player and the tag type.  You'll also notice that most if not all of the cells designed for you to edit have been color coded for just about every workbook we use.  

This next image shows you with cells you can edit; you can change the Bid type to UFA or Resign, you can also refine your player drop down list to include all the UFA's or by the position of your choice.  Once you've got that figured out, then use the drop down arrow to select your player to bid on and right below that select the number of years for the contract.  The sheet will populate information as you move forward, filling in the details of the contract.  In the yearly breakdown, you'll type in the base salary amounts to include the roster and workout bonuses.  Once the contract is approved using formulas, the big red bar, will tell you its passed validation.  That's it, you've successfully created a contract that would be accepted.

o1KbviIhKGQUird_tvovrRHoPG60cQ3W9W3P4-2h

If you've got any questions about this workbook or about the mock draft please ask, we're more than happy to help and love talking about what we've worked so hard to create.

Thanks

Mike

Archived