1960s Romance - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

In this thread we will be deciding the 6th entrant into the FF Best Movie Ever Tournament - Romance movie from the 1960s!

Please see rules at the following thread:

Nominations are open! Please be clear that you are nominating flicks. Movies with 3+ nominations will make it into the polling phase. POSTERS WILL BE LIMITED TO FIVE NOMINATIONS. If you nominate more than 5 I will only count the top five. The changes in edited posts will not be counted. Nominations will close Monday, 5/11/2020 at 4pm EST. 

@Calvert28@Uncle Buck @THE DUKE   @Dome @The Orca @August4th @thrILL! @Malfatron @Elky @daboyle250 @rackcs @MikeT14 @Daniel @MWil23 @seminoles1 @scar988 @JoshstraDaymus @JonStark @animaltested @Ozzy @Bullet Club @AlexGreen#20 @Fresh Prince @KManX89 @TENINCH @SlevinKelevra @bucsfan333 @Ray Reed @Bucketheadsdad @kingseanjohn@Pickle Rick

French New Wave is pretentious drivel.  Nobody actually likes it.  They pretend to like it.  Pompous doofuses convince themselves they like it just to make themselves feel smarter and sophisticated.

• Like 1

Breakfast at Tiffany's  
Splendor in the Grass
The Graduate

Wow some of you dudes really do not watch romance films.  Splendor in the Grass is more of a tragic romance but is an outstanding film and an absolute classic, great romance film.  And um Breakfast at Tiffany's is straight up historic, and Holly Golightly played by Audrey Hepburn is one of the most endearing heroines film history. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Wow some of you dudes really do not watch romance films. 

How would you define a romance movie? 

What has to happen in a romance movie?

Does it have to end with a happy couple? 

Just curious. 

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

How would you define a romance movie? 

What has to happen in a romance movie?

Does it have to end with a happy couple? 

Just curious. 

You do not care about my answers to these questions so you can stop pretending you do.  You do not nominate any romance films because you clearly do not watch them and or like them.  You just want to nominate some **** completely out of the category just to try and be funny .   So go back to the three people who find you amusing and amuse them.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You do not care about my answers to these questions so you can stop pretending you do.  You do not nominate any romance films because you clearly do not watch them and or like them.  You just want to nominate some **** completely out of the category just to try and be funny .   So go back to the three people who find you amusing and amuse them.  

So you insult everyone’s taste in romance films and when I try without the slightest hint of insult to inquire about what makes a good romance you just essentially say, “F you, I don’t want to talk?”

It was a legitimate attempt to broach something I disagreed with you on in a civilized manner.

For the record, I don’t dislike romance.  I dislike romance from the decade.  Eh, maybe I do dislike romance.  I’ve liked probably 4 my entire life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

So you insult everyone’s taste in romance films and when I try without the slightest hint of insult to inquire about what makes a good romance you just essentially say, “F you, I don’t want to talk?”

It was a legitimate attempt to broach something I disagreed with you on in a civilized manner.

For the record, I don’t dislike romance.  I dislike romance from the decade.  Eh, maybe I do dislike romance.  I’ve liked probably 4 my entire life.

No need to pretend you care about what I have to say or want to discuss anything, because you are trying to get into a game of semantics with me, carve out and insult in an attempt to get a laugh.  That is the reality of your question.  It is not thought provoking in any matter based on you being the one who is asking the question.  

I am going to make comments about what I think, but at least I nominate some for the category, you cannot even do that so not sure how you are some authority of romantic movies.  Let me guess, if the guy does not get the girl it is not a romance, BS on that one.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

No need to pretend you care about what I have to say or want to discuss anything, because you are trying to get into a game of semantics with me, carve out and insult in an attempt to get a laugh.  That is the reality of your question.  It is not thought provoking in any matter based on you being the one who is asking the question. 

I've actually tried discussing these things with you calmly several times.  I tried especially calmly this time because in the past even when I try to calmly bring something up that I disagree with you on, you respond like this. 

It was actually more for your sake.  Just to offer some opinions and viewpoints you may not have thought of before. 

I'll admit it was a little bit of a leading question that I asked, but not for the sake of getting a laugh out of it.  Just a genuine discussion on movies.  You like them, I like them, I was just trying to let you lead yourself to a conclusion that might have been different than what you had previously thought.  Give you a new perspective to look at something, maybe make it interesting for you.  Based on our previous interactions, I know that's not easy to believe, but I wasn't trying to be a ****. 

you cannot even do that

You're right.  I've made joke nominations.  Son of Flubber was a joke nomination.  I did it because I don't care which movie wins for this decade and this genre. 

so not sure how you are some authority of romantic movies. 

I've actually tried explaining this to you before.  I pretend a lot to not know a lot about movies, but the truth is I really do.  Not as much as some, but a lot more than a lot.  I did literally get an education on it.  It wasn't a film class in some other degree, it was a degree of film. 

Let me guess, if the guy does not get the girl it is not a romance, BS on that one.  

No, that's not where I was going with it.  The questions were based on The Graduate.  I asked you those questions because I wanted to see if you thought happily ever after so to speak was a requisite for romance.  In The Graduate, the look on the faces of the two characters on that bus suggests and implies a bleak ending rather than a happy ending.  Yes, they had the big wedding interruption and got on a bus to head off for their new life, but then there is the subtlest glimpse of consideration, of melancholy of palpable regret on both of their decisions.  It was so noticeable you could almost see their lives flash on-screen.  A short "honeymoon" phase where they try to convince themselves they're happy, maybe a relationship, then that relationship slowly devolving into a loveless relationship full of resentment and regret. 

It is one of the better endings of any movie from the 60's.  It was all subtext.  Beautiful, really.  In one single shot, two faces, you saw a bleak and hopeless failed relationship. 

But, of course, that's only one interpretation.  A popular one, but only one. 

• Like 2