23 members have voted

1. 1. 1940s and Earlier vs 1970s

• Casablanca (3)
    • Grease (6)
  2. 2. 1990s vs 2010s

• Titanic (5)
    • Silver Linings Playbook (4)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/13/2020 at 08:00 PM

Welcome to the Bracket Phase of the Football's Future Best Movie Ever Tournament! You can see the results and links for the nomination and polling for our entrants in the master thread:

See the bracket bellow:

1980s The Princess Bride (1)        
1950s The King and I (8)   The Princess Bride (1)    

1940s and earlier Casablanca (3)        
1970s Grease (6)        
    Romance  
1990s Titanic (5)        
2010s Silver Linings Playbook (4)        

2000s Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (7)   Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (7)    
1960s Breakfast at Tiffany's (2)        

FF only allows three questions at a time so first round voting will be 2 matchups at once, subsequent rounds will be all at once. Seeding is 1-8 and denoted in parentheses next to the title. Voting will end Thursday, 8/13/2020 at 4pm. 

@Calvert28@Uncle Buck @THE DUKE   @Dome @The Orca @August4th @thrILL! @Malfatron @Elky @daboyle250 @rackcs @MikeT14 @Daniel @MWil23 @seminoles1 @scar988 @JoshstraDaymus @JonStark @animaltested @Ozzy @Bullet Club @AlexGreen#20 @Fresh Prince @KManX89 @TENINCH @SlevinKelevra @bucsfan333 @Ray Reed @Bucketheadsdad @kingseanjohn@Pickle Rick

15 hours ago, thrILL! said:

The 3rd act of Silver Linings Playbook is so lame.  LoL

And yet I still like it better than Titanic.  Bradley Cooper should have won the Oscar for that movie, not Jennifer Lawrence.  DDL may be the best actor of a generation, but I thought Cooper was better that year.  I would have given the best actress win to Jessica Chastain over Lawrence as well.

Casablanca wins over anything else in the romance bracket for me.  The only parts of that movie that aren't A+ are the parts where the content is constrained by the limitations of that era where they didn't want to much hanky panky on screen.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

And yet I still like it better than Titanic.  Bradley Cooper should have won the Oscar for that movie, not Jennifer Lawrence.  DDL may be the best actor of a generation, but I thought Cooper was better that year.  I would have given the best actress win to Jessica Chastain over Lawrence as well.

Casablanca wins over anything else in the romance bracket for me.  The only parts of that movie that aren't A+ are the parts where the content is constrained by the limitations of that era where they didn't want to much hanky panky on screen.

Casablanca is about the only straight up romance movie that I actually enjoy.  Iconic, influential, holds up well to time, etc.  If it doesn't win the bracket, it's a problem.

Princess Bride is a comedy as much as it is a romance, so it doesn't count.

I voted for Titanic because Silver Linings Playbook is the more overrated movie when looking at the sum of its parts.

Robert De Niro is not a great actor.  He was a great actor.  Now and since.... Eh, I would say Jackie Brown was his last strong performance (1997), he has just been playing a caricature of himself.  That's it. 

Jennifer Lawrence has one strong performance.  Maybe two.  She's not great. 

I love Bradley Cooper, but he's basically a smile.  An infectious smile, but that's it. 

Watching a David O. Russell movie is like looking at abstract art and thinking it's beautiful, something you absolutely need, and then you're told it was drawn by a 5-year-old and you've just been pranked because you're a pretentious doofus. 

• Like 1

Nobody watched/watches Titanic for the romance. It where it is because of James Cameron's insanity and quest to figure out how to kill his actors with water.

SLP is a flat out more enjoyable watching experience in 2020 than Titanic. Its message about self love is way more on point than Titanic's forced melodrama. 

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

Titanic is an objectively atrocious movie. I don't know how it even won the 90s over 10 Things I Hate About You.

I thought it was an entertaining movie, but more from a historical perspective than from the side story of the romance between the two lead characters.  The visuals of seeing the ship go down were pretty cool at the time.