Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

Wish we had caught it earlier but it's how PFF is listing their graded players, if you use the snap count min. then you get a short list.  If you don't use it then you get a list of players that had one snap graded at 90.  Would be nice if they at least set it up so you can determine what that snap count is.  So if I wanted to see the grades of everyone with a min. snap count of 100 or 80 I think it would help.

I'll have this figured out for the future mocks but on the fly, I think my only option is to use the "no snap count min" and just deal with the outliers.

I won't spend the time with reloading the team workbooks, just too much work involved with that, my workaround will be listing the new player database in the FA workbook with formulas to adjust the APY and SB values in the UFA sheet.

Working on it now, should be done in the next hour or so.

no snap works.  Nobody will bid on expensive low snap dude right away.

37 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

You can amortize new $$ over years in any way you see fit as long as 5 year is maximum, existing or voidable year(s).  It becomes dangerous if there is no extension in place by new league year begins which is March 15.

Unfortunately, in this TCMD, they don't allow voidable years for new contract. Mike SUCKS!  lol.

I agree with him though. The thing it reminds me of a little is how mad people were about the Tampa Bay Lightning in hockey being able to carry all the guys they did because one expensive player was on IR and therefore didn’t count against their cap. But come playoff time, the cap is no longer accounted for, the star player comes back, and you have an illegitimately lopsided level of competition. Sure enough, they went on to win. And that’s what these void contract workarounds remind me of.

It’s like this Year the cap being $220 million, and you end up having to play me in the playoffs with a roster worth $218 million. Meanwhile because of my “cheating” I’m competing against you with a roster worth $240 million.

We go on to win, and your fans just have to eat ****. Fair? 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Sure but the low starting points for the O-linemen mean they'll get snapped up in round 1 while the more realistically priced players drop over time. KC will have an easy time extending Brown with his APY so low. It distorts the market to have one position mispriced.

Fortunately, Mike's on top of it. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15eLbOcSk4Z_rnKfOInr5jsXBYQ1KnjlrVtxld1or5WQ/edit#gid=0

Okay, I think it looks much better.  Good find btw.  

I'm missing so many things it's embarrassing.

League Office thread is OPEN for CUTS ONLY.

Team Team Abbr. General Manager Hyperlinks Asst. GM
Arizona Cardinals ARI @LuckyNumber11 @LuckyNumber11
Atlanta Falcons ATL @ovfd55 @ovfd55
Baltimore Ravens BAL @Justone2 @Justone2
Buffalo Bills BUF @Trentwannabe @Trentwannabe
Carolina Panthers CAR @MikeT14 @MikeT14
Chicago Bears CHI @squire12 @squire12
Cincinnati Bengals CIN @sparky151 @sparky151
Cleveland Browns CLE @cortes02 @cortes02
Dallas Cowboys DAL @JetsandI @JetsandI
Denver Broncos DEN @Scoundrel @Scoundrel
Detroit Lions DET @winitall @winitall
Green Bay Packers GB @MaximusGluteus @MaximusGluteus
Houston Texans HOU @jch1911 @jch1911
Indianapolis Colts IND @RTTRUTH @RTTRUTH
Jacksonville Jaguars JAC @Trojan @Trojan
Kansas City Chiefs KC @RedGold @RedGold
Las Vegas Raiders LVR @NYRaider @NYRaider
Los Angeles Chargers LAC @whodatOL @whodatOL
Los Angeles Rams LAR @Freebirdsrams @Freebirdsrams
Miami Dolphins MIA @mountainpd @mountainpd
Minnesota Vikings MIN @KingOfNewYork @KingOfNewYork
New England Patriots NE @Deadpulse @Deadpulse
New Orleans Saints NO @whodatOL @whodatOL
New York Giants NYG @ny92mike @ny92mike
New York Jets NYJ @bcb1213 @bcb1213
Philadelphia Eagles PHI @EaglesPeteC @EaglesPeteC
Pittsburgh Steelers PIT @Cbrunn @Cbrunn
San Francisco 49ers SF @Forge @Forge
Seattle Seahawks SEA @DTMW78 @DTMW78
Tampa Bay Buccaneers TB @BucsDraftGeek47 @BucsDraftGeek47
Tennessee Titans TEN @Daniel @Daniel
Washington Commanders WAS @MKnight82 @MKnight82

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

I agree with him though. The thing it reminds me of a little is how mad people were about the Tampa Bay Lightning in hockey being able to carry all the guys they did because one expensive player was on IR and therefore didn’t count against their cap. But come playoff time, the cap is no longer accounted for, the star player comes back, and you have an illegitimately lopsided level of competition. Sure enough, they went on to win. And that’s what these void contract workarounds remind me of.

It’s like this Year the cap being $220 million, and you end up having to play me in the playoffs with a roster worth $218 million. Meanwhile because of my “cheating” I’m competing against you with a roster worth $240 million.

We go on to win, and your fans just have to eat ****. Fair? 

Is there a difference in using void years vs having years that the player likely wouldn't see ?

Teams are still spreading the signing bonus out over the length of the contract.

Void years are beneficial to the player as they get the money and are FA once those void years hit

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is there a difference in using void years vs having years that the player likely wouldn't see ?

Teams are still spreading the signing bonus out over the length of the contract.

Void years are beneficial to the player as they get the money and are FA once those void years hit

For me there is. Simply about intent. Every 5 year deal is so pricey now that with the exception of a couple QBs no one makes it to the last year. Even then they extend.

But in those cases, you are trying to keep the player on your roster. I feel like teams add void years only to cheat the cap. And that’s my frustration with it. They are literally listed as void years. They have no intentions of the player being there. 

15 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

For me there is. Simply about intent. Every 5 year deal is so pricey now that with the exception of a couple QBs no one makes it to the last year. Even then they extend.

But in those cases, you are trying to keep the player on your roster. I feel like teams add void years only to cheat the cap. And that’s my frustration with it. They are literally listed as void years. They have no intentions of the player being there. 

So you would prefer the team fluffing the base salaries instead of using void years?

Then the team cuts the player to avoid keeping the player. Net result is effectively the same

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

So you would prefer the team fluffing the base salaries instead of using void years?

Then the team cuts the player to avoid keeping the player. Net result is effectively the same

I suppose in a way that’s correct. Maybe it’s just the way the Saints have used it that frustrates me. AND when a team signs a real 4-5 year deal it just feels to me like the financial repercussions come home, capwise. I don’t get how the Saints can use multiple void years with multiple players, end up almost record-breakingly $60,000,000 over the cap, and somehow still find a way to entertain the thought of taking on a $30,000,000 new Quarterback at the same time. I guess my argument is fix whatever mechanism makes that possible. Stupid to me. Like where’s the end of the line?

@sparky151 @squire12 @JetsandI @MKnight82 @RTTRUTH

Probably missed someone, but you guys have been the most active to date.

Thoughts on the restructure values.  I base it off the teams OTC cap values.  

I'm thinking 10M to the team with the most cap space upto the team with the least amount of cap space.

These new values is a average $8 M increase.

If you think we need less or more let me know.

Team Team Abbr. Restructure Allotment New Values
Arizona Cardinals ARI $2,450,000 $10,000,000
Atlanta Falcons ATL $2,915,000 $10,480,000
Baltimore Ravens BAL $3,365,000 $10,975,000
Buffalo Bills BUF $3,815,000 $11,455,000
Carolina Panthers CAR $4,280,000 $11,935,000
Chicago Bears CHI $4,730,000 $12,415,000
Cincinnati Bengals CIN $5,180,000 $12,910,000
Cleveland Browns CLE $5,630,000 $13,390,000
Dallas Cowboys DAL $6,095,000 $13,870,000
Denver Broncos DEN $6,545,000 $14,350,000
Detroit Lions DET $6,995,000 $14,845,000
Green Bay Packers GB $7,460,000 $15,325,000
Houston Texans HOU $7,910,000 $15,805,000
Indianapolis Colts IND $8,360,000 $16,285,000
Jacksonville Jaguars JAC $8,825,000 $16,780,000
Kansas City Chiefs KC $9,275,000 $17,260,000
Las Vegas Raiders LVR $10,640,000 $18,715,000
Los Angeles Chargers LAC $9,725,000 $17,740,000
Los Angeles Rams LAR $10,175,000 $18,220,000
Miami Dolphins MIA $11,090,000 $19,195,000
Minnesota Vikings MIN $11,540,000 $19,675,000
New England Patriots NE $12,005,000 $20,155,000
New Orleans Saints NO $12,455,000 $20,650,000
New York Giants NYG $12,905,000 $21,130,000
New York Jets NYJ $13,370,000 $21,610,000
Philadelphia Eagles PHI $13,820,000 $22,090,000
Pittsburgh Steelers PIT $14,270,000 $22,585,000
San Francisco 49ers SF $15,185,000 $23,545,000
Seattle Seahawks SEA $14,720,000 $23,065,000
Tampa Bay Buccaneers TB $15,635,000 $24,025,000
Tennessee Titans TEN $16,085,000 $24,520,000
Washington Football Team WAS $16,550,000 $25,000,000

Avg. $9,500,000 $17,500,000

Difference: $8,000,000

47 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

If I trade for a player can I presume an extension will be at the APY and SB numbers listed in trade block thread or could they increase after I trade for them?

APY & Bonus for extensions use other values (tag amounts).  Beware of trading and extensions as it won't be cheap.

2 hours ago, Justone2 said:

@ny92mikeI am looking at the restructure sheet and trying to restructure Marlon Humphrey who has 4 years left on his contract. For some reason when i load him in the restructure sheet it only shows 2 years which means the amount i can save is way lower than it should.

Sounds like another wonderful error.

I'll take a look after I have my coffee.

Tired Good Morning GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

5 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Sounds like another wonderful error.

I'll take a look after I have my coffee.

Tired Good Morning GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Yessir, it's another formula oversight.  My testers suck...haha.  Kidding obviously, it's impossible to catch everything in the first run.

I'll see if I can't get it fixed within the next hour or two.

Thanks for finding and reporting it.