Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

Okay sorry about the issue with the cap formulas.  It's fixed now thanks to the help of @MKnight82 @JetsandI , appreciate it guys.

I made one adjustment and that's include the carryover from this year to the 2024 season.  

Also, even though we have a trade block thread in the workbook I'll create one in the forum so that you can include your team needs if you'd like. 

I do need to make a column adjustment to the league trade block thread, but other than that it's working.  I'll fix that later tonight.

I'm also, looking for your opinions on the voided contract structure.  Currently it allows the original team the option to extend that players contract.  However, there is an issue with where the dead money lands so I'm looking at just putting them all in the UFA sheet and not having the option to extend them.

I need your decision on this by tonight, otherwise I'm going with dumping them all in UFA and just removing them from your team rosters without any cap hit or dead money being applied to your cap.

Again, let me know tonight. 

Unless anything else comes up with the workbook, I see no reason to wait any longer.  So 12 am, tomorrow eastern time feel free to start making transactions in the league office thread.  Remember trades get posted in the trade approval thread.

Let's hope we are past any other issues with the workbooks.  We are working in new workbooks this year, so future mocks we will not have these issues.

Appreciate your patience.

Any questions pertaining to the mock draft guidelines, workbook, schedule please post these questions in the forum and be sure to tag me.  Most of the time, the veterans of this mock can provide you with a quick answer.

Thanks guys. 

Team Team Abbr. General Manager Hyperlinks Asst. GM
Arizona Cardinals ARI @LuckyNumber11 @LuckyNumber11
Atlanta Falcons ATL @ovfd55 @ovfd55
Baltimore Ravens BAL @Justone2 @Justone2
Buffalo Bills BUF @Trentwannabe @Trentwannabe
Carolina Panthers CAR @MikeT14 @MikeT14
Chicago Bears CHI @squire12 @squire12
Cincinnati Bengals CIN @sparky151 @sparky151
Cleveland Browns CLE @cortes02 @cortes02
Dallas Cowboys DAL @JetsandI @JetsandI
Denver Broncos DEN @Scoundrel @Scoundrel
Detroit Lions DET @winitall @winitall
Green Bay Packers GB @MaximusGluteus @MaximusGluteus
Houston Texans HOU @jch1911 @jch1911
Indianapolis Colts IND @RTTRUTH @RTTRUTH
Jacksonville Jaguars JAC @Trojan @Trojan
Kansas City Chiefs KC @RedGold @RedGold
Las Vegas Raiders LVR @NYRaider @NYRaider
Los Angeles Chargers LAC @whodatOL @whodatOL
Los Angeles Rams LAR @Freebirdsrams @Freebirdsrams
Miami Dolphins MIA @mountainpd @mountainpd
Minnesota Vikings MIN @KingOfNewYork @KingOfNewYork
New England Patriots NE @Deadpulse @Deadpulse
New Orleans Saints NO @whodatOL @whodatOL
New York Giants NYG @ny92mike @ny92mike
New York Jets NYJ @bcb1213 @bcb1213
Philadelphia Eagles PHI @EaglesPeteC @EaglesPeteC
Pittsburgh Steelers PIT @Cbrunn @Cbrunn
San Francisco 49ers SF @Forge @Forge
Seattle Seahawks SEA @DTMW78 @DTMW78
Tampa Bay Buccaneers TB @BucsDraftGeek47 @BucsDraftGeek47
Tennessee Titans TEN @Daniel @Daniel
Washington Commanders WAS @MKnight82 @MKnight82
  • Like 2

Maybe we should set up new deadline for extending voided contract. After that, all unsigned players go to UFA and move dead money (full) to where you usually put among with other dead money.

That way we may make a bid on one of them during first round if interested.

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Realistically IRL, how many teams void a players contract then turn around and extend them?

Only proven and loyal players did sign with current teams.   I still not sure about splitting dead money into 2 years without any $ in base salary in real life.   With some loyalty, a few players can accept veteran wage for base salary, non guaranteed, and wait until June 2 to sign other teams once get released.

Now, there is an internet saying afloat around that Bucs can wait until June 1 to make an official announcement of Tom Brady's retirement so they can split his dead money into 2 years.  I don't buy it because zero base salary means UFA so thus all dead money must be counted against current year's cap.

I am sure Bucs will extend Brady's contract to keep it alive until June 1st in order to keep his cap charge lower for top 51.  Drew Brees and Michael Thomas took pay cut on base salaries to help lowering Saints' team cap. Different structure but same concept.

Edited by JetsandI

RE: voided contracts

Could the $$$ in the voided years just be added as guaranteed $$$ or something along those lines to any new contract the player signs with their current team?

I know most of the websites that I have seen treated players with voided contracts as UFA... 

Voided years are at the player's option. It's just a mechanism to spread signing bonus over more seasons. Teams can always just cut a player to get out of a deal. When a player voids his contract, the remaining money goes into the current year, just as if he was cut.

In the Brady situation, the team is hoping to sign him to a fictitious contract for league minimum salary to split the dead money. Currently he counts 35 mil on the cap as his voided signing bonus accelerates into 2023. The team wants him to sign a deal for 2024 at minimum salary, then file his official retirement papers after June 1. If he's not planning to play again, he'll likely do that for them, as JJ Watt did for Arizona. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

RE: voided contracts

Could the $$$ in the voided years just be added as guaranteed $$$ or something along those lines to any new contract the player signs with their current team?

I know most of the websites that I have seen treated players with voided contracts as UFA... 

Those $$$ are from old signing bonus.   What happen to that SB if you cut prior to June 1 is exactly the same as voided contract once new league year begins as UFA.

In Giants' Shephard case, it is easy to be done because it is only one year.   Tom Brady has 4 voidable years so all remaining dead money (old prorated bonus) will go to first voidable year.  Extending Brady will keep old prorated bonus intact for those 4 years.  In Mike's work, he will have to track all voided contracts to ensure that they have all "future" information in bay just in case if there is any extension or re-sign. Too much work to do.

34 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Voided years are at the player's option. It's just a mechanism to spread signing bonus over more seasons. Teams can always just cut a player to get out of a deal. When a player voids his contract, the remaining money goes into the current year, just as if he was cut.

In the Brady situation, the team is hoping to sign him to a fictitious contract for league minimum salary to split the dead money. Currently he counts 35 mil on the cap as his voided signing bonus accelerates into 2023. The team wants him to sign a deal for 2024 at minimum salary, then file his official retirement papers after June 1. If he's not planning to play again, he'll likely do that for them, as JJ Watt did for Arizona. 

Make it two, @ny92mike

Since he is only player with voided contract that is retiring.  Exempt him as Post June 1(3rd if you find a way to fix this discussed situation).

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

I'm also, looking for your opinions on the voided contract structure.  Currently it allows the original team the option to extend that players contract.  However, there is an issue with where the dead money lands so I'm looking at just putting them all in the UFA sheet and not having the option to extend them.

I need your decision on this by tonight, otherwise I'm going with dumping them all in UFA and just removing them from your team rosters without any cap hit or dead money being applied to your cap.

I vote release them to FA. Not sure how I feel about the No cap hit. Do you mean the future void years don’t compound into 2023? Because whatever their hit this year, we should have that on our dead money. IMO

Edited by RTTRUTH

7 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

I vote release them to FA. Not sure how I feel about the No cap hit. Do you mean the future void years don’t compound into 2023? Because whatever their hit this year, we should have that on our dead money. IMO

Saints and Bucs object. lol.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I genuinely hope the next CBA closes this annoying loophole. Feels a bit too much like baseball or something. A cap is a cap.