Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Good News Guy here for another installment to break you from your typical doom and gloomer.

"A team of British scientists developing a coronavirus vaccine has set up a special company to distribute it if they are successful, rather than partnering with a big pharmaceutical company, to ensure access for the world’s poorest."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-vaccine-socialenterpr/british-scientists-bypass-drug-giants-to-sell-potential-coronavirus-vaccine-idUKL8N2DL4RJ?

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

New Zealand lifts all social distancing restrictions and considers themselves, virus free (lucky bastards):

https://traxzee.com/new-zealand-declares-itself-virus-free-and-lifts-all-social-distancing-restrictions/

Well looks like mission can remove New Zealand now from the MOL. Thanks for posting it in the first place mission 😊🙏

@Shanedorf @seriously27 we have reading to do:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2404-8_reference.pdf

Our empirical results indicate that large-scale anti-contagion policies are slowing the COVID-19 pandemic. Because infection rates in the countries we study would have initially followed rapid exponential growth had no policies been applied, our results suggest that these policies have provided large health benefits. For example, we estimate that there would be roughly 465 × the observed number of confirmed cases in China, 17 × in Italy, and 14 × in the US by the end of our sample if large-scale anti-contagion policies had not been deployed. Consistent with process-based simulations of COVID-19 infections, our analysis of existing policies indicates that seemingly small delays in policy deployment likely produced dramatically different health outcomes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rob_shadows said:

You should invest it directly into my bank account tbh

I got... $6.71. A pack of smokes, but they might be old. A few Beanie Babies. Pogs, a few pogs, can't forget the pogs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I got... $6.71. A pack of smokes, but they might be old. A few Beanie Babies. Pogs, a few pogs, can't forget the pogs.

Hang onto those Beanie Babies! They’ll be worth some serious money some day...assuming of course you didn’t take the rags off like some poser.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Deal, and I'll trade you @Tyty for half that old pack of smokes.

I already own a quarter of his soul from a card game I played in the backseat of a Camry. Your half would get me closer to the full set, like the Railroads in Monopoly...

Ok, we got a deal. @Tyty, I'm your dad again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Hang onto those Beanie Babies! They’ll be worth some serious money some day...assuming of course you didn’t take the rags off like some poser.

The rags are all I got, the actual Beanie Babies were chewed up by my dog...or by me, I dunno.

6/8/2020 MoL Scores:

Methodology and disclaimer: MoL score is a simple metric for measuring rate of spread of the novel coronavirus within communities.  The metric was developed by mission and TLO and has not been subjected to academic peer review.  The MoL looks at a trailing average of daily new cases and compares this to trailing active cases within the community.  These rankings do not represent the opinion of anyone other than mission and TLO and should not be taken as advice of any kind.  Please note while the numbers themselves are objective calculations, smugness and Taylor Swift lyrics may factor into our commentary and decisions on tiers.  The MoL reserves the right to make changes to this methodology at any time.  Please follow all relevant governmental and/or WHO/CDC guidance.  We will defeat this virus.

"My, my, my, my"

- Taylor Swift

Today the MoL stands with the protesters 

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

giphy.gif

Tier 1 countries are pretty,... pretty... pretty good

How to safely open up in Tier 1? Take a look at the MoL method for proper easing, otherwise known as the MoL public health cost benefit matrix.

New Zealand: 0.0 (perfect score still! they reported that the last known active case has recovered, meaning no COVID in New Zealand. if they get to the end of next week without any cases they'll officially have retired from the MoL!)

Spain: 0.1*

Netherlands: 0.4

Belgium: 0.4

France: 0.5

UK: 0.6

Italy: 0.7

Sweden: 1.5*

Ireland: 1.6

Australia: 1.7

USA: 1.9

Canada: 1.9

Czech Republic: 2.4

Portugal: 2.7

Japan: 2.8

Turkey: 2.9

Global: 2.9

Switzerland: 3.2

Singapore: 3.4

Germany: 3.8

China: 4.5

Hong Kong: 6.1

Israel: 6.1

Austria: 7.2

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

source.gif

Tier 2 countries aren't  doing as well as Tier 1 countries, but eh, we'll give 'em a pass, why not!  Especially since Larry doesn't want to get fatwahed again.

Russia: 3.8

Philippines: 4.0

Denmark: 5.3

South Korea: 5.5

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

giphy.gif

These countries could really do a lot better if they followed common decency standards, like washing their hands or respecting wood 

Brazil: 9.0

India: 10.0

Iran: 10.8

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

source.gif

We feel very bad for the last Tier 4 country remaining on our list, the Mexico.  Its like that time Funkhauser became an orphan at 60 (RIP Funkhauser).

Mexico: 23.0

USA State Level MoLs

image.png

Note: MoL adjusted to remove the impact of the 5,014 probable deaths added on 6/5.  Consistent with treatment on Worldometer. 

MoL Deaths

ALL TIME LOW! ALL TIME LOW!

image.png

Canada

image.png

Great job @JBURGE

Quebec doing great.  Ontario not great!

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work including @ET80 @acowboys62 @dtait93 @Dome @naptownskinsfan @kingseanjohn @Malfatron @Shady Slim @malagabears @daboyle250 @vikesfan89 @ramssuperbowl99 @sdrawkcab321 @Nazgul @kingseanjohn  @TwoUpTwoDown @Xenos @Nex_Gen @FinneasGage @TVScout @seriously27 @N4L and the others who love us so much

We'd even like to thank @pwny @Glen and others for their critical attitude because of the attention it brings to the great work MoL is doing 

@TLO

source.gif

The message of this gif is that the MoL is signing out until tomorrow (although we reserve the right to **** on anyone who questions our authority on these matters)

• Like 2