1950s Drama - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

In this thread we will be deciding the 7th entrant into the FF Best Movie Ever Tournament - Drama movie from the 1950s!

Please see rules at the following thread:

Nominations are open! Please be clear that you are nominating flicks. Movies with 3+ nominations will make it into the polling phase. POSTERS WILL BE LIMITED TO FIVE NOMINATIONS. If you nominate more than 5 I will only count the top five. The changes in edited posts will not be counted. Nominations will close Friday, 7/03/2020 at 4:00pm EST. 

@Calvert28@Uncle Buck @THE DUKE   @Dome @The Orca @August4th @thrILL! @Malfatron @Elky @daboyle250 @rackcs @MikeT14 @Daniel @MWil23 @seminoles1 @scar988 @JoshstraDaymus @JonStark @animaltested @Ozzy @Bullet Club @AlexGreen#20 @Fresh Prince @KManX89 @TENINCH @SlevinKelevra @bucsfan333 @Ray Reed @Bucketheadsdad @kingseanjohn@Pickle Rick

On the Waterfront 
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
12 Angry Men 
A Streetcar Named Desire   
The Ten Commandments

If just looking at a group of five this would be right up there with any genre arguably.  The dramas in the 90s has more depth but top 5 this is rock solid and hard to pick which one.  

Just now, Daniel said:

Bridge on the River Kwai is the winner here, but I'll also nominate The Searchers and Old Yeller.

No clue what planet you live on man, no mention of the top five I have here, insanity.  

Official Nominations:
The Quiet Man
12 Angry Men
On the Waterfront
A Streetcar Named Desire
Ben-Hur

Honorable Mentions:
Touch of Evil
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Ten Commandments
North by Northwest
High Noon
Sunset Boulevard
Oklahoma!
The Diary of Anne Frank
Old Yeller
The Wild One

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Official Nominations:
The Quiet Man
12 Angry Men
On the Waterfront
A Streetcar Named Desire
Ben-Hur

Honorable Mentions:
Touch of Evil
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Ten Commandments
North by Northwest
High Noon
Sunset Boulevard
Oklahoma!
The Diary of Anne Frank
Old Yeller
The Wild One

Thank goodness, someone else nominates class.  Honestly On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire are two of the best films ever made, no clue why more are not nominated it here.  PS you forgot Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, that movie is a great drama.

3 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Paths of Glory (Great film...I own a copy)

12 Angry Men

Shane

Marty

Bridge on the River Kwai

Paths of Glory is very good and has some great shots no doubt.  But does get a little long at times and the ending was just ok I thought, nothing crazy standout about it outside of the camera work in the trench and you take Kirk Douglas out of the film it sucks, he is the only one worth while in it acting wise.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Thank goodness, someone else nominates class.  Honestly On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire are two of the best films ever made, no clue why more are not nominated it here.  PS you forgot Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, that movie is a great drama.

Paths of Glory is very good and has some great shots no doubt.  But does get a little long at times and the ending was just ok I thought, nothing crazy standout about it outside of the camera work in the trench and you take Kirk Douglas out of the film it sucks, he is the only one worth while in it acting wise.  

Haven't seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  Several classics from the 50's i'd like to get to, but i'm about 12 years away from having time for that.  Brando in the 1950's might be the best actor ever.  It's stupid how much better he is than every one else in that era, although props to Vivian Leigh in Streetcar, even if it is a little hammy at times, she goes toe to toe with him in that role.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Haven't seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  Several classics from the 50's i'd like to get to, but i'm about 12 years away from having time for that.  Brando in the 1950's might be the best actor ever.  It's stupid how much better he is than every one else in that era, although props to Vivian Leigh in Streetcar, even if it is a little hammy at times, she goes toe to toe with him in that role.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is a must watch, it is outstanding I feel just as much back and forth between Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor as Brando has in Streetcar with Leigh.  I have not seen everything in the 50s either but Cat on a Hot Tin Roof will not disappoint like some in that time span absolutely do, really it is a must watch if one likes drama.

Brando is the boss and is super cool, I have never seen The Wild One, Last Tango in Paris or Guys and Dolls.  Doubt he is as good as he is in On The Waterfront or A Streetcar Named Desire, I should get around to see those though maybe.

13 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

12 Angry Men

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof...haven't seen but nominating Paul Newman lol

I need to rewatch On the Waterfront and Streetcar Named Desire.  I saw those ~10 years ago and don't remember much.

Have not seen it?  Damn people really need to watch it, hell it was on TCM yesterday!  They also play Waterfront and Streetcar often as well.  I am not a huge Liz Taylor fan but could argue it is the best performance of her career.  Sure there are some characters that are annoying but they are supposed to be annoyed based on the storyline.  

3 hours ago, August4th said:

Sansho the Bailiff

Throne Of Blood

Sunset Boulevard

A Man Escaped

Ugetsu

Finally, someone else who appreciates more that one Kurosawa film.

Add Throne of Blood to my noms as well.