Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

Glazer just announced Willis is starting Week 2. If true, a lot now falls on LaFleur and Steno to come up with the right game plan. This can't be Love 2.0, drop back and pass all day stuff. They need to tailor a game plan to Willis, a lot of RPO, play action, getting him out of the pocket. 

Defense and running game need to step up. Willis' main task is just to not lose the game for us with turnovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

What about Pratt?  He is now on the Bucs' PS but knows the offense. 

This is a complete guess, but I think it’s possible there is something they didn’t like about Pratt’s attitude.  I’m loosely basing this on him sorta ignoring MLF when he was yelling at him for his tackle attempt after his INT last preseason game. 

This stretch should be a good barometer for whether or not we have a championship caliber defense.

If we do, we stay competitive in games without Love and have a reasonable chance to win them in the 4th quarter.

If we don't, we are not competitive without Love.

• Like 1

This is encouraging. The running threat trio of Willis/Jacobs/Reed at QB/RB/WR could be really dynamic.

Willis has the arm to make every throw on the field. Need our young WRs to flash open for him. Need our OL to give him clean throwing windows. He has a chance to keep us in games and score points with the weapons we have.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This stretch should be a good barometer for whether or not we have a championship caliber defense.

If we do, we stay competitive in games without Love and have a reasonable chance to win them in the 4th quarter.

If we don't, we are not competitive without Love.

I always see offence and defence connected and even more so for the Packers which has a culture and emphsis of dominant offences. If the offence can't sustain drives and score some points, I don't see how our defence will win us games or stay competitive.

I'd be surprised if our defence is championship caliber, I don't think we can be that dominant or will take that jump so quickly, I want a defence that is functional and does its part. Will it be good enough without Love for me it is dependent if our offence stinks without Love or not.

pass-chart_WIL614428_2024-REG-2_17264322This was posted in the game thread but wanted to document his first game as a Packer here. Obviously a simplified playbook and I doubt our run game will look like that first half again but Malik got the job done and got the W with just a few weeks in the building. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I declare this trade a success! If you get a win out of a quarterback in the NFL for a 7th round draft pick, that is a success. 

What in the absolute heck happened to the universe when I login and agree with all your posts????  :)

Seriously, though, how did you like the little things?  No snap issues, despite vomit.  Did we have a delay of game because the huddle wasn't being managed?  Only one "risk" throw and that was 1:1 to Doubs.  It resulted in 3 points that we really needed.

I thought for a kid who was basically given up on, Willis played really good ball and MLF put him in a great position.

Odds are we will need more from the passing game, because the Titans are going to commit to stopping the run, but for this one game, the kid looked like he could play.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What is the absolute heck happened to the universe when I login and agree with all your posts????  :)

Seriously, though, how did you like the little things?  No snap issues, despite vomit.  Did we have a delay of game because the huddle wasn't being managed?  Only one "risk" throw and that was 1:1 to Doubs.  It resulted in 3 points that we really needed.

I thought for a kid who was basically given up on, Willis played really good ball and MLF put him in a great position.

Odds are we will need more from the passing game, because the Titans are going to commit to stopping the run, but for this one game, the kid looked like he could play.

I just really like his attitude and approach to the whole situation. It's hard not to root for him. I really hope when he converts back to back up mode Clements can really help his game. It's fun when guys get a second change, make the best of it and actually develop. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 11:14 AM, Chili said:

I would say Willis exceeded my modest expectations this week, but I also don't think this game showed me he will be a high level backup in the league or go on to start somewhere down the line.  

He was asked to do very little, yet he had a good result with it.

He threw one prayer up there and Doubs bailed him out.

His running was occasionally a plus, and often just filler yards that didn't help extend drives.

What I do like is that GB is capable of playing to the player's strengths and that he has a different style to Love.  Willis would thrive with even more beef I think  - more blocking TEs, a FB , extra OL etc.   Simple reads and heavy play action YAC plus 2-3 deep shots.

I would be ok with Malik Willis running a goal line package for QB sneaks once Love returns