Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Yup. That’s me.

Rona Log:

It still sucks. Nausea is annoying. I wish I could sleep through the night. I’ll say this, when I had the flu it felt worse BUT this has definitely wrecked my breathing.

This thing can come back to bite you at around day 10. Be prepared for it just in case.

So for some reason I thought the extra $600 UI benefits only lasted a few months per individual. I didn’t realize that it expired at the end of July for everyone regardless of when you filed unemployment. Well hopefully they extend it or modify it for the recently unemployed.

57 minutes ago, Xenos said:

So for some reason I thought the extra $600 UI benefits only lasted a few months per individual. I didn’t realize that it expired at the end of July for everyone regardless of when you filed unemployment. Well hopefully they extend it or modify it for the recently unemployed.

I have a feeling they'll extend it based on comments I've heard. But knowing how long stuff takes in Washington, it'll likely be at least mid July before we know. Probably later. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Unfortunately, here in Rochester,NY- people are losing focus now that the bars are opening. Honestly, I believe we'll be seeing surges of this crummy little ba***** when an area pushes it's boundaries with opening bars. It may take a month or so, but I believe the cases will start to surge again even on the coasts. That being said, hopefully those 'super spreaders' will become more and more scarce. 

There were a few graphs showing how Corona may spread:

One was a huge wave, followed by a mild summer, and another huge wave in the fall.

I don't think this will be the case.

The other graph showed a huge first wave, followed by a bunch of surges throughout the summer, and a smaller second wave in the fall.

This seems to be the trend the US will be following due to lack of masks and reopening unwisely. The good news is the second wave should be much smaller. The bad news is- medicine and research will have improved by the fall- so more lives will likely be lost. 

The US curve is going to be weird because we are such a big country and the curve will be different in different areas

Personally, I still think the curve in the major temperate metros is going to follow the pattern of a mild summer and huge wave come the fall. But I agree the delayed impact in the south and southwest is currently leading to at least a small uptick in cases and we will see more regional outbreaks

3 hours ago, theJ said:

I have a feeling they'll extend it based on comments I've heard. But knowing how long stuff takes in Washington, it'll likely be at least mid July before we know. Probably later. 

I can easily see it going away sadly, even though unemployment is terminated when an offer to return to work happens.  

Free:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/

Maybe free:

https://www.nytimes.com/news-event/coronavirus?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200616&instance_id=19455&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=31084&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1

Of note:

Coronavirus deaths in US nursing, long-term-care facilities top 50,000

https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthcare/coronavirus-deaths-in-u-s-nursing-long-term-care-facilities-top-50000

The outbreak that didn’t happen: Masks credited with preventing coronavirus spread inside Missouri hair salon

Springfield, Mo., health officials braced for an outbreak. Now they say face coverings prevented one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/17/masks-salons-missouri/

Patients with underlying conditions were 12 times as likely to die of covid-19 as otherwise healthy people, CDC finds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/15/patients-with-underlying-conditions-were-12-times-more-likely-die-covid-19-than-otherwise-healthy-people-cdc-finds/

6/17/2020 MoL Scores:

Methodology and disclaimer: MoL score is a simple metric for measuring rate of spread of the novel coronavirus within communities.  The metric was developed by mission and TLO and has not been subjected to academic peer review.  The MoL looks at a trailing average of daily new cases and compares this to trailing active cases within the community.  These rankings do not represent the opinion of anyone other than mission and TLO and should not be taken as advice of any kind.  Please note while the numbers themselves are objective calculations, smugness and Taylor Swift lyrics may factor into our commentary and decisions on tiers.  The MoL reserves the right to make changes to this methodology at any time.  Please follow all relevant governmental and/or WHO/CDC guidance.  We will defeat this virus.

"Light pink sky up on the roof
Sun sinks down, no curfew"

- Taylor Swift

MoL sends its thoughts and prayers to the people of Arizona who are ruining this for everybody.  WEAR A MASK.

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

giphy.gif

Tier 1 countries are pretty,... pretty... pretty good

How to safely open up in Tier 1? Take a look at the MoL method for proper easing, otherwise known as the MoL public health cost benefit matrix.

New Zealand: NA 

Spain: 0.1*

Belgium: 0.3

Netherlands: 0.3

UK: 0.4

France: 0.8

Italy: 0.9

Canada: 1.2

Sweden: 1.9*

Ireland: 1.9

Czech Republic: 2.0

USA: 2.1

Portugal: 2.4

Singapore: 2.6

Philippines: 2.8

Global: 3.0

Australia: 3.1

Hong Kong: 3.5

South Korea: 4.2

Japan: 5.2

Turkey: 6.5

Austria: 6.7

Switzerland: 6.7

Israel: 7.1

Germany: 7.5

Denmark: 7.7

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

source.gif

Tier 2 countries aren't  doing as well as Tier 1 countries, but eh, we'll give 'em a pass, why not!  Especially since Larry doesn't want to get fatwahed again.

Russia: 3.6

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

giphy.gif

These countries could really do a lot better if they followed common decency standards, like washing their hands or respecting wood 

Brazil: 7.4

India: 8.3

Iran: 8.5

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

source.gif

We feel very bad for the last Tier 4 country remaining on our list, the Mexico.  Its like that time Funkhauser became an orphan at 60 (RIP Funkhauser).

Mexico: 23.1

China: 56.9

USA State Level MoLs

image.png

image.png

MoL Deaths

We have now gone 8 straight days without 1k deaths and the trailing average is down to 687, just over 30% of what it was at the peak. Its worth noting that deaths continue to fall even though cases ~10-14 days ago had hit a plateau.The real test will come over the next week or so as we see whether the surge in cases in the south leads to deaths starting to level off or increase.

image.png

Canada

image.png

Great job @JBURGE

Quebec doing fantastic. BORDER.

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work including @ET80 @acowboys62 @dtait93 @Dome @naptownskinsfan @kingseanjohn @Malfatron @Shady Slim @malagabears @daboyle250 @vikesfan89 @ramssuperbowl99 @sdrawkcab321 @Nazgul @kingseanjohn  @TwoUpTwoDown @Xenos @Nex_Gen @FinneasGage @TVScout @seriously27 @N4L and the others who love us so much

We'd even like to thank @pwny @Glen and others for their critical attitude because of the attention it brings to the great work MoL is doing 

@TLO

source.gif

The message of this gif is that the MoL is signing out until tomorrow (although we reserve the right to **** on anyone who questions our authority on these matters)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mission27 said:

China: 56.9

Curiosity is getting the better of me.  What is driving this number?  World of Meters is not reporting a single new case in China for over two months.  Which obviously none of us believe.  But where are you getting your information?

On 6/16/2020 at 10:02 PM, mission27 said:

The US curve is going to be weird because we are such a big country and the curve will be different in different areas

Personally, I still think the curve in the major temperate metros is going to follow the pattern of a mild summer and huge wave come the fall. But I agree the delayed impact in the south and southwest is currently leading to at least a small uptick in cases and we will see more regional outbreaks

Unfortunately a lot of the spread will happen indoors, which I did not account for. In my city, we were doing so well with wearing masks, but now that bars are open- people are cramming in and not wearing masks. It'll start to spread again. Luckily, we're down to less than 1% testing positive, so it will probably take a while for it to start snowballing. Areas that have not curb stomped it down to a low positive% will not be so lucky. Praying for the best, but in my heart I know a lot of this country will suffer due to incompetent leaders. Politics really is the Achilles heel during a pandemic. 

21 hours ago, theJ said:

Yikes.  That's almost half of the total.

Yep, it's absolutely nuts how this has happened.  At least in Maryland, instead of using the empty field hospitals or hotels, they used ALF's to house people who had coronavirus, wouldn't separate positive from negative cases by floors/sections and they had a clear lack of PPE.  It was criminal what's happened in some of these places.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yep, it's absolutely nuts how this has happened.  At least in Maryland, instead of using the empty field hospitals or hotels, they used ALF's to house people who had coronavirus, wouldn't separate positive from negative cases by floors/sections and they had a clear lack of PPE.  It was criminal what's happened in some of these places.  

tumblr_phfhaelxzU1vjonbto1_540.gif

• Like 2