1990s Fantasy - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

In this thread we will be deciding the 3rd entrant into the FF Best Movie Ever Tournament - Fantasy movie from the 1990s!

Please see rules at the following thread:

Nominations are open! Please be clear that you are nominating flicks. Movies with 3+ nominations will make it into the polling phase. POSTERS WILL BE LIMITED TO FIVE NOMINATIONS. If you nominate more than 5 I will only count the top five. The changes in edited posts will not be counted. Nominations will close Saturday, 6/6/2020 at 4:00pm EST. 

@Calvert28@Uncle Buck @THE DUKE   @Dome @The Orca @August4th @thrILL! @Malfatron @Elky @daboyle250 @rackcs @MikeT14 @Daniel @MWil23 @seminoles1 @scar988 @JoshstraDaymus @JonStark @animaltested @Ozzy @Bullet Club @AlexGreen#20 @Fresh Prince @KManX89 @TENINCH @SlevinKelevra @bucsfan333 @Ray Reed @Bucketheadsdad @kingseanjohn@Pickle Rick

The Mummy

What Dreams May Come

Dragonheart

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

Beauty and the Beast

Aladdin

Hercules

Ferngully: The Last Rainforest

Blade

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The Rocketeer

Hook

Princess Mononoke

Stay Tuned

The Fifth Element

The Green Mile 
Hook

What Dreams May Come    
Hocus Pocus
The Crow

How in the hell is The Green Mile not been nominated yet?  That movie is amazing, and Hook is outstanding as well no question and The Truman Show I hesitate to nominate but maybe fits but probably does not. 

Did not include The Fifth Element because that is Sci Fi all the way.   Not sure what to do with the Disney cartoons in Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King because they are cartoons not really fantasy but I guess could be included in a way.  Same could be said for FernGully which is an outstanding cartoon film.  Hocus Pocus is not really that scary to be a horror so I included it as a fantasy.  The Crow might be more horror but I guess could fit as well.

If one is talking pure story outside of Hook and The Green Mile those Disney cartoons are all way up there in terms of pure story, especially Beauty and the Beats and Aladdin.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

How in the hell is The Green Mile not been nominated yet?  That movie is amazing, and Hook is outstanding as well no question and The Truman Show I hesitate to nominate but maybe fits but probably does not.

Did not include The Fifth Element because that is Sci Fi all the way.   Not sure what to do with the Disney cartoons in Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King because they are cartoons not really fantasy but I guess could be included in a way.  Same could be said for FernGully which is an outstanding cartoon film.  Hocus Pocus is not really that scary to be a horror so I included it as a fantasy.  The Crow might be more horror but I guess could fit as well.

If one is talking pure story outside of Hook and The Green Mile those Disney cartoons are all way up there in terms of pure story, especially Beauty and the Beats and Aladdin.  

Green Mile is fantastic. But I really don't think of it as fantasy at all.

Fifth Element is sci fi/fantasy imo. I thought about including a Disney film and The Crow, but felt my nomination were better.

4 hours ago, August4th said:

The Prince of Egypt

You know, I really liked the music in that one. I’ll throw a second nom its way.

Also Nightmare Before Christmas, Princess Mononoke, and Toy Story.

Official Nominations
The Fifth Element

A Life Less Ordinary

The Mummy

Defending Your Life

Groundhog Day

Honorable Mentions

Jumanji

Toy Story

Edward Scissorhands
The Green Mile

Hook

The Devil's Advocate

Ghost

What Dreams May Come

The Iron Giant

City of Angels

Small Soldiers

The Rocketeer

The Crow

Beauty and the Beast

Being John Malkovich
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Prince of Egypt

Disagree on The Fifth Element being Sci-Fi only.  Leeloo is as Fantasy a character as any super hero, jedi, alien, etc...

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Green Mile is fantastic. But I really don't think of it as fantasy at all.

Fifth Element is sci fi/fantasy imo. I thought about including a Disney film and The Crow, but felt my nomination were better.

I consider The Green Mile a fantasy because what it is discussing, sure I guess one could call it a miracle and divide so maybe not as much fantasy involved in it.  I thought there was a ton of wonder in it all and is far superior to some of these other films, not sure I would call it a crime drama either, drama sure but anything could be considered a drama so I thought it fit very well here.  Guess I am the only one that does.  

Of the movies you nominated I think Hook is easily the best one of that group and fits the category the best.  Sure Fifth Element has some fantasy to it but could say that about any Sci Fi film really.  Those Disney cartoons though if one is just talking original story those are way up there but I consider any cartoon a different genre completely in many ways and its own genre.  

I must say The Nightmare Before Christmas to me really took a crap once they got out of that Halloween land.  Sure the story was technically more interesting with both worlds but the Halloween world was way cooler and more interesting than the other.  Still with that, same with the cartoons, the animation is a huge part of the film and how that looks, so hard to rank an animated film against one that is live action on a camera.  Then again CGI is changing a lot of that but still back in the day with those Disney cartoons that was far more traditional than it is now and even with The Nightmare Before Christmas a lot of that was real clay animation which is wildly impressive.  

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Official Nominations
The Fifth Element

A Life Less Ordinary

The Mummy

Defending Your Life

Groundhog Day

Honorable Mentions

Jumanji

Toy Story

Edward Scissorhands
The Green Mile

Hook

The Devil's Advocate

Ghost

What Dreams May Come

The Iron Giant

City of Angels

Small Soldiers

The Rocketeer

The Crow

Beauty and the Beast

Being John Malkovich
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Prince of Egypt

Disagree on The Fifth Element being Sci-Fi only.  Leeloo is as Fantasy a character as any super hero, jedi, alien, etc...

I forgot about Jumanji, that is a good honorable mention and a solid movie no question.  No clue how Hook or The Green Mile did not make your final nomination though.  Groundhog Day is a comedy to me all the way.  The Rocketeer I watched recently, used to love that film but damn that is cheesy in some parts, like really bad.  Great for a kid but as an adult watching it, the thing did not hold much water at all.  October Sky is a way better film but sure not as fantasy related, heck The Rocketeer could be more reality and is honestly not hard to believe, even that super hero crashed and fell and was a goof half the time so that is more realistic than not.  

Sure Leeloo has some fantasy aspects but again you could name a character in most Sci Fi films being similar just not as central to the plot.  It happened in space to me so I keep it there because it fits better there.  I did not include any Star Wars films or Super Hero films in any nomination here really much less Alien.  So to me those things are a clear no and most Sci Fi films could be considered more action/adventure than fantasy but sure if anything made up in some way is a fantasy film a ton could be included, does not mean they should be or fit best.  

Main reason The Fifth Element is being included is because it is so kooky and kind of off the wall for a Sci Fi film with the dialog and the music.