Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

10 hours ago, Leader said:

Wall Street's not the economy. Not even close.

The debt is thru the roof.
Unemployment is north of 40M
Food lines are long. Cash registers have just begin ringing up again yet bankruptcies will be huge this year.
Over 100,000 Americans have died in 3 months.
The nation is roiled in riots.
Yet WS had an uptick? LOL

Wall Street's not the economy.

Yep

You plow $4,000,000,000,000 into the economy and its going to help support asset prices, the real economy is in the ****ter

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yep

You plow $4,000,000,000,000 into the economy and its going to help support asset prices, the real economy is in the ****ter

By tv broke. So I went into a store this morning to buy a new one. Apparently everyone bought TVs with their stimulus money because there wasn't a single tv available for purchase. 

Amazing. 

And I'm sure of those people with shiney new big screens are still having trouble buying food. But they have that TV!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, theJ said:

By tv broke. So I went into a store this morning to buy a new one. Apparently everyone bought TVs with their stimulus money because there wasn't a single tv available for purchase. 

Amazing. 

And I'm sure of those people with shiney new big screens are still having trouble buying food. But they have that TV!

There must be some tvs out there to loot

• Like 2

5/30/2020 MoL Scores:

Methodology and disclaimer: MoL score is a simple metric for measuring rate of spread of the novel coronavirus within communities.  The metric was developed by mission and TLO and has not been subjected to academic peer review.  The MoL looks at a trailing average of daily new cases and compares this to trailing active cases within the community.  These rankings do not represent the opinion of anyone other than mission and TLO and should not be taken as advice of any kind.  Please note while the numbers themselves are objective calculations, smugness and Taylor Swift lyrics may factor into our commentary and decisions on tiers.  The MoL reserves the right to make changes to this methodology at any time.  Please follow all relevant governmental and/or WHO/CDC guidance.  We will defeat this virus.

"In a relationship each person should support the other; they should lift each other up."

- Taylor Swift

Everyone be safe.

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

giphy.gif

Tier 1 countries are pretty,... pretty... pretty good

How to safely open up in Tier 1? Take a look at the MoL method for proper easing, otherwise known as the MoL public health cost benefit matrix.

New Zealand: 0.0 (perfect score still!)

Netherlands: 0.4

Belgium: 0.6

Italy: 0.8

UK: 0.8

France: 1.0

Spain: 1.1

Portugal: 1.2

Japan: 1.5

Israel: 1.8

USA: 1.9

Czech Republic: 1.9

Switzerland: 2.1

Australia: 2.1

Sweden: 2.3

Ireland: 2.6

Singapore: 2.7

Canada: 2.8 

Global: 3.1

Turkey: 3.1

Austria: 3.5

Germany: 4.0

China: 5.1

Hong Kong: 7.4 (these continue to be imported cases, local transmission at zero for many days)

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

source.gif

Tier 2 countries aren't  doing as well as Tier 1 countries, but eh, we'll give 'em a pass, why not!  Especially since Larry doesn't want to get fatwahed again.

Russia: 3.9

Philippines: 5.1

Denmark: 5.5

South Korea: 5.6

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

giphy.gif

These countries could really do a lot better if they followed common decency standards, like washing their hands or respecting wood 

India: 9.8

Iran: 10.0

Brazil: 11.8

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

source.gif

We feel very bad for the last Tier 4 country remaining on our list, the Mexico.  Its like that time Funkhauser became an orphan at 60 (RIP Funkhauser).

Mexico: 24.7

USA State Level MoLs

image.png

Minnesota getting close to breaking into Tier 2, which would be nice.

MoL Deaths

Deaths ticked down again very slightly.  This weeks average way down from last.  Sunday and Monday may be tough to beat last weeks' numbers because of Memorial day, but if we come close we bank a lot of our gains.

image.png

Canada

image.png

Great job @JBURGE

Quebec now into Tier 1, joining Canada a day later.  Ontario next?  Could be by next week or shortly thereafter. 

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work including @ET80 @acowboys62 @dtait93 @Dome @naptownskinsfan @kingseanjohn @Malfatron @Shady Slim @malagabears @daboyle250 @vikesfan89 @ramssuperbowl99 @sdrawkcab321 @Nazgul @kingseanjohn  @TwoUpTwoDown @Xenos @Nex_Gen @FinneasGage @TVScout @seriously27 @N4L and the others who love us so much

We'd even like to thank @pwny @Glen and others for their critical attitude because of the attention it brings to the great work MoL is doing 

@TLO

source.gif

The message of this gif is that the MoL is signing out until tomorrow (although we reserve the right to **** on anyone who questions our authority on these matters)

• Like 2

The Sunday data dump:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/31/coronavirus-live-updates-us/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200531&instance_id=18965&nl=the-morning&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=29704&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1

Plus:

Researchers warn covid-19 could cause debilitating long-term illness in some patients

In the fall of 2009, one of us, Beth, was hit by an illness she suspects was H1N1 flu, which was circulating then. In 2012, the other, Brian, developed a sudden fever, which his doctors said was also likely of viral origin.

Neither of us recovered, and we’re both disabled to this day. 

The long-term illnesses that can follow viral infections can be devastating — and are devastatingly common. In 2015, the nation’s top medical advisory body, the Institute of Medicine, estimated that between 800,000 and 2.5 million U.S. residents live with the illness or illnesses awkwardly named myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). An estimated three-quarters of these cases were triggered by viral or bacterial infections.

Now, as a new pandemic virus is burning through the world and causing many deaths, researchers are raising alarms that the novel coronavirus and the covid-19 disease it causes will also leave in its wake a potentially large population with post-viral problems that could be lifelong and, in some cases, disabling.  

At the National Institutes of Health and elsewhere, scientists who have been studying post-viral ME/CFS are seizing the opportunity to focus on covid-19 patients. They want to understand what biological factors separate those who regain their health from those who remain sick.

“We want to look at who recovers and who doesn’t,” said Avindra Nath, the head of clinical neurology at NIH’s Clinical Center in Bethesda, Md., who is gearing up to study covid-19 patients. “It’s quite possible some will never get their health back.”  A survey organized by a group of covid-19 patients called the Body Politic shows that many coronavirus symptoms overlap with those of post-viral fatigue syndrome. Fatigue, including severe fatigue, brain fog — problems with concentration and thinking — chills and sweats, and sleep problems were commonly reported among 640 respondents, who were recruited from online support groups. The Body Politic, which includes some patients with expertise in survey design and statistics, calculated that respondents had just a 20 percent chance of being symptom-free 50 days after the illness began. The group cautioned that while the survey suggests many respondents had long illnesses, the results may not apply to the broader population of covid-19 patients.  

The novel coronavirus is too new to say whether such lingering symptoms represent an extended covid-19 illness or a post-viral syndrome. But researchers suspect at least some covid patients will remain sick and eventually develop post-viral ME/CFS. Their suspicions are grounded in previous research. Studies on other outbreaks — including those of Epstein-Barr virus, Ross River fever and Q fever — have shown that up to 12 percent of people who fell acutely ill never regained full health. Many were eventually diagnosed with ME/CFS.

After the first SARS epidemic, which sickened 8,000 people worldwide in 2002-2003, one study found that 27 percent of 369 survivors of that variety of coronavirus met the criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome several years later. If figures like this are seen with this novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, which epidemiologists warn will eventually infect 50 to 70 percent of all U.S. residents, our nation is on track for a devastating wave of millions of patients with chronic post-viral illnesses.  Reports already show that the novel coronavirus can, in rare cases, infiltrate the central nervous system. Some 30 covid-19 patients in Italy have been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, hallmarked by rapid nerve damage that can lead to paralysis. In Detroit, one covid-19 patient who died was reported to have extensive brain damage caused by his immune system’s overwhelming response to the coronavirus, a condition called hemorrhagic encephalopathy.  The personal and societal costs of ME/CFS are devastating. In 2015, the Institute of Medicine estimated a $24 billion annual U.S. burden in medical costs and lost productivity. For Beth, who was working as a product manager for a software company in San Francisco with a computer science degree from MIT, her lost earnings potential over the past decade can likely be measured in the millions of dollars. Instead of paying taxes on those lost wages, she is drawing monthly Social Security Disability Insurance. For Brian, the week before he became suddenly ill, he wrote a front-page story for The Washington Post, where he was a science writer, on a major advance in theoretical physics, the discovery of the Higgs boson. Six months later, his undiagnosed post-viral illness had gotten so bad he could not remember a four-digit number long enough to tap it into his phone.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/could-covid-19-cause-long-term-chronic-fatigue-and-illness-in-some-patients/2020/05/29/bcd5edb2-a02c-11ea-b5c9-570a91917d8d_story.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Here yeah, in South American unfortunately it is just ramping up and getting worse and worse

And forgetting (for the moment...) our own proclivities to gather in unprotected large groups......countries are going to keep "reseeding" each other as the travel restrictions are eased - or "loopholes" give those restrictions a colander-like quality.

We finally shut down travel to/from (or from at least....) Brazil. How many exemptions exist (?) I cant say.

We need a pill (figuratively speaking....) - not a cure necessarily (although one would be nice....) - but at least some kind of treatment regimen that will allow people to survive (and thrive!) getting COVID19 - which doesnt put them in the poor house after they've been saved. 

Saw on Twitter this morning that somebody got cured....then received a first installment invoice for $840,000.00.
There was no word on whether he died on the spot of cardiac arrest (A little COVID19 humor there....).

Edited by Leader
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

It feels like this pandemic is losing steam

There is now something else to deflect from it, and I think a lot of people have given up caring for the most part.  People will still wear masks if mandatory, but they are really giving up the concerns for social distancing and gathering in crowds.  

6 hours ago, theJ said:

Amazing. 

That doesn't surprise me, ever since Costco dropped the prices on large TVs to $1200.  They knew most people would spend this money and not save it.  I used it to pay for state taxes instead of my plan.  People do this all of the time around tax season instead of saving their money.  

And I bet a whole lot of TVs are sitting over in China unable to be shipped currently, or over here unable to be offloaded.  And with some stores still unable to open or distribution centers closed, I imagine most of the inventory is sitting in places where companies can easily sell it online versus sending it to a store where it's just going to sit in inventory.  

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There is now something else to deflect from it, and I think a lot of people have given up caring for the most part.  People will still wear masks if mandatory, but they are really giving up the concerns for social distancing and gathering in crowds.  

The crowds that are gathering have usually worn masks for anonymity. Now it doubles as protection as well.

I've seen pics of hand sanitizer duct taped to telephone poles. And dozens of "reminder" type posts all over twitter about washing hands and bringing extra face covering.

But the current issue is much different from the overall pandemic. And many would argue more important.

So Covid-19 is taking a backseat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

The crowds that are gathering have usually worn masks for anonymity. Now it doubles as protection as well.

I've seen pics of hand sanitizer duct taped to telephone poles. And dozens of "reminder" type posts all over twitter about washing hands and bringing extra face covering.

But the current issue is much different from the overall pandemic. And many would argue more important.

So Covid-19 is taking a backseat.

Well I'm not going to discuss all of that beyond it being "something to deflect from Covid-19" but I do agree with you.  

I also want to highlight bringing extra face coverings.  Most face coverings should be changed every couple of hours, especially at work, as the more moisture that accumulates, the less effective the mask becomes.  Each of our team members have two masks per shift for the first part of their shift, and the latter portion of it.  

• Like 1