Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Instead of having a backup bid (which I think takes away some of the strategy of FA), why not just have a spreadsheet that shows the number of teams that have submitted a bid on that player?  I'm not sure if you could code it this way, but having a cell in the FA workbook right next to where you do the contracts that tells you how many other teams have bid on him would be very helpful. That way I can pull up that spreadsheet and be like, hmm this guy's got 8 bids, maybe I should pivot to something else.  Just a thought.

I started doing this a few years ago, thinking it would be enough, but we still got some request for this additional bid.

I agree with you that this backup bid does diminish the game planning aspect.  Including the number of teams bidding on said player is something I can certainly do.  In addition to doing this, rather than tying this additional bid to a single bid, meaning that if you miss the bid on your first target, it triggers the backup bid, I'd rather see this backup bid triggered only if you miss out on more than 75% of all of your bids including the reserve bidding.  So for example, if you have 4 bids (3 UFA and 1 resign bid, along with 2 reserve bids in play.  Total of 6 bids you would have to land one or less for the backup bid to come into play.  We could put the trigger percent number at 25%, if that percent seems too low I'd be willing to go as high as 33%.

This process I don't think kills the FA game planning as it would only really help those GM's that failed to land targets due to underbidding.  We could allow this backup bid for the first 3 rounds after that it would simply turn into a resign bid, giving us two resign bids at a time where we're looking to sign more of our own targets.   

Could also do this, make it so that the backup bid can't steal an offer being made by any other types of bids (UFA/Resign/Reserve).  So the sorting process would determine which teams are awarded their players.  Once that is sorted we determine if any team triggered the backup bid and those bids are sorted.  Probably a much easier way of explaining this but the two bid types (normal bidding / backup bid) wouldn't overlap....

Thoughts on this last piece as this additional rule could make the backup bid useless.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I think like a month before draft is when we did it this year. That seems to be the best time  to get it started 

Alright...I'm pretty sure that I can squeeze this mini mock in early enough so that it all works out.

What's your thoughts on this backup bid (previous post)?

16 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I started doing this a few years ago, thinking it would be enough, but we still got some request for this additional bid.

I agree with you that this backup bid does diminish the game planning aspect.  Including the number of teams bidding on said player is something I can certainly do.  In addition to doing this, rather than tying this additional bid to a single bid, meaning that if you miss the bid on your first target, it triggers the backup bid, I'd rather see this backup bid triggered only if you miss out on more than 75% of all of your bids including the reserve bidding.  So for example, if you have 4 bids (3 UFA and 1 resign bid, along with 2 reserve bids in play.  Total of 6 bids you would have to land one or less for the backup bid to come into play.  We could put the trigger percent number at 25%, if that percent seems too low I'd be willing to go as high as 33%.

This process I don't think kills the FA game planning as it would only really help those GM's that failed to land targets due to underbidding.  We could allow this backup bid for the first 3 rounds after that it would simply turn into a resign bid, giving us two resign bids at a time where we're looking to sign more of our own targets.   

Could also do this, make it so that the backup bid can't steal an offer being made by any other types of bids (UFA/Resign/Reserve).  So the sorting process would determine which teams are awarded their players.  Once that is sorted we determine if any team triggered the backup bid and those bids are sorted.  Probably a much easier way of explaining this but the two bid types (normal bidding / backup bid) wouldn't overlap....

Thoughts on this last piece as this additional rule could make the backup bid useless.

@LuckyNumber11 @whodatOL @Ghostnote @KingOfNewYork @BringinDaPain @Forge @sparky151 @MKnight82@cortes02 @JWingate @BowserBroncos @winitall @squire12 @jch1911 @Counselor @samsel23 @Trojan @carrolljcmc @EaglesPeteC @FinneasGage @DoleINGout @JetsandI @ny92mike @bcb1213 @T-rade @Cbrunn @Justone2 @mountainpd @Daniel @MikeT14 @drfrey13 @Deadpulse @YogiBiz @SerenityNow

Note:  If you wish to be removed from the above list of tags, let me know.

Can we get some more feedback on this topic?

Not a fan of the backup bid

part of the TCMD strategy is (1) if you don't have $$$, to find those moneyball / diamonds in the rough FAs that other people neglect

(2) if you got $$$, spend it!

Only thing that is somewhat unrealistic is that there are players who sign with teams that in their hometowns, near where they played college ball for a "discount" (but I don't think that should be part of TCMD).  It was part of the pitch when doing FFMD, but it was very subjective.

Just my $.02

28 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Nothing anyone else has said has influenced my opinion on this

19 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Not a fan of the backup bid

part of the TCMD strategy is (1) if you don't have $$$, to find those moneyball / diamonds in the rough FAs that other people neglect

(2) if you got $$$, spend it!

Only thing that is somewhat unrealistic is that there are players who sign with teams that in their hometowns, near where they played college ball for a "discount" (but I don't think that should be part of TCMD).  It was part of the pitch when doing FFMD, but it was very subjective.

Just my $.02

Thanks for the feedback.  I personally love the FA system we created; it's a quick process from bidding to sorting, fair for all parties involved (rich or poor) and it forces a high level of game planning, that generates some edge of your seat excitement when announcing the signings. 

I hear you on the hometown discounts as there are certainly some truths in it, but as you said in making those adjustments becomes subjective as there are many factors that influence a player's decision to play for one team over another.

I think the concept of needing the "signing percentage trigger" to initiate the backup bid would still keep everything we like about the FA system, while still providing a safeguard should we fail to offer enough in the initial bidding round.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Backup bid is a bad idea imo.

Noted.

I agree with you if it's tied to a single bid, but I don't see the harm in linking the backup bid to the signing percentage (25%) trigger.  It's a small percentage of teams that actually would even initiate this backup bid and if the backup bid can't steal players awarded during the standard bidding, I don't see it doing too much damage.  Are there things with this idea that make it a bad idea, if so please discuss.

Thanks

@LuckyNumber11 @whodatOL @Ghostnote @KingOfNewYork @BringinDaPain @Forge @sparky151 @MKnight82@cortes02 @JWingate @BowserBroncos @winitall @squire12 @jch1911 @Counselor @samsel23 @Trojan @carrolljcmc @EaglesPeteC @FinneasGage @DoleINGout @JetsandI @ny92mike @bcb1213 @T-rade @Cbrunn @Justone2 @mountainpd @Daniel @MikeT14 @drfrey13 @Deadpulse @YogiBiz @SerenityNow

Note:  If you wish to be removed from the above list of tags, let me know.

Appreciate the ones that have been providing your feedback and suggestions.

Unless I get additional info that changes my viewpoint, I'm leaning on adding the backup bid which is initiated only if the team fails to sign 25% or less of their targets.

I'm bouncing around on the items I'm working on.  It gets boring if I focus too much of my time on a single phase.  That said, I'm currently working on the google sheets and guidelines involving trades.  

• Trade Block / Trade Value Chart
    • Trade Block Worksheet
      • 15 players can be added to your block which you can adjust at will.
        • Comments & Compensation columns
          • New - Compensation column uses a drop down list, that you can select the draft pick value range.
          • Example
            • (+/-) 7000 DPV
              (+/-) 6600 DPV
              (+/-) 6200 DPV
              (+/-) 5800 DPV
              (+/-) 5400 DPV
              (+/-) 5000 DPV
              (+/-) 4600 DPV
              (+/-) 4200 DPV
      • All draft picks can be added by checking the box next to their name, includes a comments column.
    • Trade Value Chart
      • I don't know how many of you guys have used this sheet but it's my go to sheet when evaluating trades, especially pick for pick.  
      • New - I'll include accurate Top 51 salary changes that adjust the cap on the fly allowing you to see the benefits or damage if added or removed to your roster.
      •  Question:  Anything you'd like added to this sheet or changes to the design?
    • OTC Trade Offers
      • Not sure exactly how I want to design this but I like the concept of creating a quick trade offer, that the OTC team could view, think Madden franchise mode during the draft.  I always found it a pain when trying to work out a trade while OTC, or even shortly before going on the clock.  I'd post in the discussion thread that I'm wanting to trade down and then wait for someone to make an offer.  Where if I can work this out, would allow me to view several options at once.  I believe I can set this up so that only the OTC team or include the next few teams can view these trade options in their private sheets, if that matters. 
    • Question:  Any trade limitations or restrictions you'd like added or removed to the guidelines?

7 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Alright...I'm pretty sure that I can squeeze this mini mock in early enough so that it all works out.

What's your thoughts on this backup bid (previous post)?

Not a fan to be honest. Part of the fun/strategy is only having so many bid spots and budgeting them correctly 

4 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Not a fan to be honest. Part of the fun/strategy is only having so many bid spots and budgeting them correctly 

Its looking like the majority of you guys are happy with the current system.  Definitely more than I originally thought.

Sounds like a test mock would be the ideal place for this.  The way I'm seeing it is this backup bid should only add 3 to 5 bids to each round for 3 rounds.  Not enough to really damage the core system but lets give it a try with the test mock to confirm at which point we can determine if we want to include it or not.

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

This year, when considering a bid on a player, it would tell you how many bids that player already had. That was good info and I thought worked fine. 

Agreed.  The only complaint was the reserve bids were being counted which created some issues.  Easy enough fix.

Would you like to see any additional info other than just the number of bids on the player?

Displaying an average bid amount would be too telling I think.  But perhaps a fa breakdown sheet that shows what positions are getting the most attention without naming them.  Guess I'm just looking to provide more data so you all get a big picture on what positions might be better targeted by round.  If too much reel me back in...lol.